Distribution maps of Minnesota's amphibians and reptiles are being prepared for the revision of Amphibians and Reptiles Native to Minnesota. County and subcounty (227 kb) records will be updated periodically as new records become available.
Click on animal groups below to reveal more information. Click again to hide.
Blue-spotted Salamander (Ambystoma laterale)
Spotted Salamander (Ambystoma maculatum)
Western Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma mavortium)
Eastern Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum)
Eastern Red-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)
Mudpuppy (Necturus maculosus)
Eastern Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)
Map files containing all salamander species together may also be viewed and downloaded.
- Frogs and Toads
Frogs & Toads
American Toad (Anaxyrus americanus)
Great Plains Toad (Anaxyrus cognatus)
Canadian Toad (Anaxyrus hemiophrys)
Blanchard's Cricket Frog (Acris blanchardi)
Cope’s Gray Treefrog (Hyla chrysoscelis)
Gray Treefrog (Hyla versicolor)
Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer)
Boreal Chorus Frog (Pseudacris maculata)
American Bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus)
Green Frog (Lithobates clamitans)
Pickerel Frog (Lithobates palustris)
Northern Leopard Frog (Lithobates pipiens)
Mink Frog (Lithobates septentrionalis)
Wood Frog (Lithobates sylvaticus)
Map files containing all frog and toad species together may also be viewed and downloaded.
Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta)
Northern Map Turtle (Graptemys geographica)
Southern Map Turtle (Graptemys ouachitensis)
False Map Turtle (Graptemys pseudogeographica)
Eastern Musk Turtle (not native to MN) (Sternotherus odoratus)
Pond Slider (not native to MN) (Trachemys scripta)
Spiny Softshell (Apalone spinifera)
Map files containing all turtle species together may also be viewed and downloaded.
Prairie Skink (Plestiodon septentrionalis)
Six-lined Racerunner (Aspidoscelis sexlineata)
Map files containing all lizard species together may also be viewed and downloaded.
Ring-necked Snake (Diadophis punctatus)
Eastern Hog-nosed Snake (Heterodon platirhinos)
Milksnake (Lampropeltis triangulum)
Northern Watersnake (Nerodia sipedon)
Smooth Greensnake (Opheodrys vernalis)
Western Foxsnake (Pantherophis ramspotti)
Dekay's Brownsnake (Storeria dekayi)
Red-bellied Snake (Storeria occipitomaculata)
Plains Gartersnake (Thamnophis radix)
Common Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis)
Map files containing all snake species together may also be viewed and downloaded.
Map files containing all amphibian and reptile species together may also be viewed and downloaded.
- Maps are based on records compiled for the first edition of Amphibians and Reptiles Native to Minnesota and several other sources including the James Ford Bell Museum (through February 2012), the Science Museum of Minnesota (through February 2009), the Minnesota Biological Survey (through 2011), DNR Greenslip records, as well as other reports from herpetologists and the general public.
- Previous county records lacking details to identify a subunit were not included in these maps.
- Names are primarily based on Crother, B. I. (ed.). 2012. Scientific and Standard English Names of Amphibians and Reptiles of North America North of Mexico, with Comments Regarding Confidence in Our Understanding, Seventh edition. SSAR Herpetological Circular No. 39. 98 p.
Email a report including photos when possible: [email protected]
Or call the toll free MBS Animal Report Line: 1-888-345-1730
Please include the following information in your report:
- species observed
- name of observer
- brief description of sighting
- photo availability; please include digital photos in emails. Printed images can be mailed to:
MN DNR, Box 25
500 Lafayette Rd.
St. Paul, MN 55155
3261 Victoria Street
Shoreview, MN 55126