Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Lower Pool 2 Channel Management Study: Boulanger Bend to Lock and Dam No. 2 project, located in Washington and Dakota Counties, Minnesota, has issued the attached Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project.
The DNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contain the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet during the 30-day public review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the state environmental review process for this project according to the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Cover Letter for Record of Decision
- Record of Decision (September 6, 2017)
- Record of Decision, Attachment A - Public Comments
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
- Cover Letter - Boulanger Bend to Lock and Dam No. 2 Maintenance Project
- Environmental Assessment -Boulanger Bend to Lock and Dam No. 2 Maintenance Project
- Appendix A: Coordination Correspondence
- Appendix B: Section 401(b)(1) Evaluation
- Appendix C: Economic Analysis
- Appendix D: Hydrology and Hydraulics
- Appendix D1: Climate Changes Effects on Pool 2
- Appendix E: Mississippi River (Pool 2) 2-D ADH Model Development
- Appendix F: ERDC Letter Report: "Pool 2 Numerical Modeling"
- Appendix G: Mussel Relocation Plan and Mussel Survey Results
- Appendix H: Sediment Quality Analysis
- Appendix I: Minnesota EAW Supplement
- Appendix J: Geotechnical Evaluation
- Appendix K: Draft Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)
- Appendix L: Real Estate Plan
This Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) has been prepared to describe the environmental effects associated with the Boulanger Bend to Lock and Dam No. 2 Maintenance Project located in Washington and Dakota Counties, Minnesota. The project is proposed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the DNR is the Responsible Governmental Unit (RGU) for the environmental review of this project.
This document has been prepared as a Mandatory EAW pursuant to Minnesota Rules, part 4410.4300, subpart 27A (Wetlands and Public Waters). As allowed by Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1300, the Environmental Assessment (EA) that was prepared for the project is being circulated in place of the EAW form, with Appendix I indicating how the EA addresses each of the environmental effects identified in the EAW form.
Public notice of the availability of this EAW is in June 26, 2017 EQB Monitor. A 30-day public review and comment period is open from June 26, 2017 until 4:30 p.m., July 26, 2017.
The proposed project:
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District is proposing to construct two new channel training structures in Lower Pool 2 of the Mississippi River near Hastings, Minnesota to improve navigability and safety by helping to maintain the full congressionally-authorized channel width.
Written and signed comments on the EAW must be received by Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources
Attn: Kate Fairman
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to [email protected] with "Boulanger Bend EAW" in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to 651-296-1811.
Please call 651-259-5082.