Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Chambers' Grove Aquatic Habitat Enhancement project in St. Louis County, Minnesota, has issued the Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project. The project's Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) notice was published in the May 25, 2015 issue of the EQB Monitor (Vol. 39, No. 11, pg. 1).
The DNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet during the 30-day review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project according to the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
For additional information, or copies of the Record of Decision, please call 651-259-5157.
Environmental Assessment Worksheet
- Chambers' Grove Aquatic Habitat Enhancement Project EAW Cover Letter
- Chambers' Grove Aquatic Habitat Enhancement Project EAW
Chambers' Grove Aquatic Habitat Enhancement Project Figures
- Figure 1 - Regional location of Chambers' Grove Aquatic Habitat Restoration Project within Lower St. Louis River Area of Concern
- Figure 2 - Topographic map of Chambers' Grove Aquatic Habitat Restoration Project near Fond du Lac, Minn.
- Figure 3 - Existing conditions at Chambers' Grove Park showing full extent of project area with degraded aquatic habitat features identified.
- Figure 4 - Aerial view of Chambers' Grove existing conditions.
- Figure 5 - Aerial view of proposed project developments.
- Figure 6 - Curved cross-section at proposed boulder weir.
- Figure 7 - J-hook cross sections at 2+50. Cross sections aligned at a 30° upstream angle.
- Figure 8 - J-hook cross sections at 6+00. Cross sections aligned at a 30° upstream angle.
- Attachment A - Background on St Louis River Area of Concern (AOC)
- Attachment B - DNR Natural Heritage Information System Concurrence
Public notice of the availability of this EAW is in the May 25, 2015 EQB Monitor. A 30-day public review and comment period is open from May 25, 2015 to June 24, 2015 at 4:30 p.m.
The proposed project
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) intends to use natural channel design techniques to enhance spawning habitat for Lake Superior migratory fish species, particularly lake sturgeon, by constructing three riffle features about 1.4 miles below the Fond du Lac Dam on the St. Louis River in Duluth, Minn. Project will include removing an engineered retaining wall along the shoreline and naturalizing the bank with vegetation. Designs will include access features planned by the City of Duluth. This project supports the Lower St. Louis River Area of Concern Remedial Action Plan.
Written and signed comments on the EAW must be received by Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources, Box 25
Attn: Ronald Wieland
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to [email protected]. "Chambers' Grove EAW" must be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to 651-296-1811.
Please call 651-259-5157.