Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Gorman Creek Channel Restoration project, located near Kellogg in Wabasha County, has issued the Record of Decision (ROD) regarding the need for an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the project.
The DNR has concluded that an EIS is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the ROD. The ROD also contains the DNR’s responses to all substantive written comments received on the EAW during the 30-day public review and comment period.
Issuing this ROD concludes the state environmental review process for this project according to the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, Part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
The proposed project would stabilize stretches of Gorman Creek and a spring tributary, Costello Spring, near Kellogg in Wabasha County. The project would replace 2,060 feet of unstable stream with 4,800 feet of stream channel that would enhance ecological function, improve water quality and establish a more stable habitat.
The Minnesota DNR has prepared an Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) for the project. Public notice of the availability of these documents for public comment is in the May 17, 2022 EQB Monitor. A 30-day public review and comment period was open from May 17, 2022 until 4:30 p.m., June 16, 2022.
- Record of Decision
- Attachment A: Restoration plan set and specifications
- Attachment B: Floodplain Analysis for Gorman Creek Restoration
- Attachment C: Minnesota Department of Health, Well Logs
- Attachment D: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Natural Heritage Information System
- Attachment E: Email confirming prior NHIS results
- Attachment F: DNR Fisheries stream assessment report
- Attachment G: DNR Forestry/Fish & Wildlife Archaeologist and State Historic Preservation Office
- Attachment H: Climate Change Projections and Impacts
A hard copy may be requested by calling 651-259-5694.
The EAW is also available for public review at:
- DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155
- DNR Central Region Headquarters, 1200 Warner Road, St. Paul, MN 55106
- Hennepin County – Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, Second Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401-1992
- Wabasha Public Library, 168 Alleghany Avenue, Wabasha, MN 55981
- Rochester Public Library, Reference Department, 101 Second Street SE, Rochester, MN 55904
The EAW notice was published in the May 17 Environmental Quality Board Monitor.
Deadline for comments:
Mailed comments must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 16, to the attention of Kathy Metzker, EAW project manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, Ecological and Water Resources Division, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 500 Lafayette Road N, St. Paul, MN 55155.
E-mail comments must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. Thursday, June 16. They may be sent to [email protected] with “Gorman Creek EAW” in the subject line.
Anyone providing a mailing address or submitting comments via email will receive a copy of the decision document, which includes responses to comments. Because all comments and related information are part of the public record for this environmental review, commenters’ names and email or postal addresses will be published and publicly available as they appear in the materials they submit.