Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Knowlton Creek Stream Restoration Project in St. Louis County, Minnesota, has issued the attached Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project. The project's Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) notice was published in the July 20, 2015 issue of the EQB Monitor (Vol. 39, No. 15, pg. 2).
The DNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet during the 30-day review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project according to the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
For additional information, or copies of the Record of Decision, please call 651-259-5157.
- Record of Decision Cover Letter
- Record of Decision
- Record of Decision, Attachment A - Public Comments
Environmental Assessment Worksheet
- Knowlton Creek Stream Restoration Project EAW Cover Letter
- Knowlton Creek Stream Restoration Project EAW
- Figure 1. Habitat Restoration Projects within the St. Louis River estuary Area of Concern (AOC), Knowlton Creek Stream Restoration Project
- Figure 2. Topographic Map of Knowlton Creek Stream Restoration Project
- Figure 3. Sector 1 - Lower Unknown Tributary of Knowlton Creek and Sector 3 - Knowlton Creek Main Stem
- Figure 4. Most of Sector 2 - Upper UT to Knowlton Creek, Pump Station, and Upland Area 3 and 4
- Figure 5. Log Vane with Boulder Hook structure is one that contains an oblique vane
- Figure 6. The Boulder Jam Stem is a structure that contains a cross-vane
- Figure 7. Diagram of a Rock Riffle structure
- Figure 8. Diagram of Wood Toe with COIR Wrapped Soil
- Figure 9. Public Lands and Reserves in Vicinity of Knowlton Creek
- Figure 10. Wetlands in Knowlton Creek Stream Restoration Project Area
Public notice of the availability of this EAW is in the July 20, 2015 EQB Monitor. A 30-day public review and comment period is open from July 20, 2015 until 4:30 p.m., August 19, 2015.
The proposed project:
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) proposes to restore and enhance habitat for trout and associated cold-water organisms, using Natural Channel Design techniques, to stabilize approximately 6,491 linear feet of Knowlton Creek and tributaries in Duluth, Minnesota. This project supports the Lower St. Louis River Area of Concern (AOC) Remedial Action Plan.
Written and signed comments on the EAW must be received by Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources, Box 25
Attn: Ronald Wieland
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to [email protected]. "Knowlton EAW" must be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to 651-296-1811.
Please call 651-259-5157.