Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Northshore Mining Company Progression of the Ultimate Pit Limit project in St. Louis County, Minnesota, has issued a Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project.
The DNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet during the 30-day public review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the state environmental review process for this project according to the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Record of Decision, Cover Letter
- Record of Decision
- Record of Decision, Attachment A - Public Comments
- Northshore EAW, News Release
- Northshore EAW, Frequently Asked Questions
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
- The DNR and the Northshore Mining Company have agreed to postpone the decision on the need for an EIS until no later than January 27, 2015
- Northshore Mining Company Progression of the Ultimate Pit Limit Project EAW Cover Letter
- Environmental Assessment Worksheet
- Northshore Mining Company Progression of the Ultimate Pit Limit Project EAW
- Northshore Mining Company Progression of the Ultimate Pit Limit Project Figures
- Attachment A – MNDNR NHIS Rare Features Database concurrence
- Attachment B – Minnesota State Historic Preservation Office correspondence and report
Public notice of the availability of this EAW is in the September 15, 2014 EQB Monitor. A 30-day public review and comment period is open from September 15, 2014 through October 15, 2014, until 4:30 PM.
The proposed project:
Northshore Mining Company proposes to progress the Ultimate Pit Limit within its Permit to Mine at its Peter Mitchell Mine to access additional economic taconite ore, consistent with Northshore's long-term development plan for the mine. In this 108 acre progression, the taconite ore is overlain by Type II Virginia Formation (VF) rock that will be mined and stockpiled to access the ore. Northshore will permanently stockpile Type II VF rock from the progression on-site following a stockpile plan that minimizes contact of groundwater and runoff with stockpiled rock.
Written and signed comments on the EAW must be received by Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources, Box 25
Attn: Ronald Wieland
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to [email protected]. "Northshore EAW" must be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to (651) 296-1811.
Please call (651) 259-5157.