Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), which serves as the Responsible Governmental Unit for the environmental review of the proposed project, "Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion," has issued a Record of Decision regarding the need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project.
The DNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for the determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project according to the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can now proceed to permitting and approvals.
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion - Record of Decision on EAW
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion - Attachments (1, 2, and 3)
Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW)
A 30-day public review and comment period was open from December 26, 2011 through January 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm. Public notice of the availability of this EAW is in the December 26, 2011 EQB Monitor.
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion EAW Cover Letter
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion EAW
County map showing the general location of the project
- Figure 1: Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion - General Location, Lake County, Minnesota
U.S. Geological Survey 7.5 minute, 1:24,000 scale map indicating project boundaries (photocopy acceptable)
- Figure 2: Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion - General Location, Lake County, Minnesota
- Figure 3: Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion - Park Map, Summer Use with Project Area
- Figure 4: Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion - Aerial Photo
Site plan showing all significant project and natural features of project
- Figure 5: Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Campground Expansion - Proposed Development
- Attachment A: Natural Heritage Information System Report (DNR) (December 2010)
- Attachment B: Minnesota Historical Society State Historic Preservation Office Correspondence (2011)
The proposed project
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) proposes to expand the campground at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park by constructing access roads and adding up to 77 additional campsites and four camper cabins. The expansion is located within the existing State Park, northwest of Trunk Highway 61 in southern Beaver Bay Township, Lake County.
Written and signed comments on the EAW were to be received by Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources, Box 25
Attn: Ronald Wieland
500 Lafayette Road St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to [email protected]. "Split Rock EAW" must be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by facsimile to (651) 297-1500.
If you have additional questions, please contact Ronald Wieland (651) 259-5157.