State environmental review of the proposed Tamarack Mining project
Talon Nickel (USA) LLC is proposing to develop an underground mine in central Minnesota for the extraction of nickel, copper, and iron ore that would be processed offsite, in North Dakota, to produce metal concentrates for the domestic battery supply chain.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is charged with preparing an EIS for the proposed Tamarack Mining project (the Project). This role is known as being the responsible governmental unit (RGU).
There are three parts to the EIS process: EIS scoping, EIS preparation and EIS adequacy. Scoping is the first phase of the EIS process. The purpose of scoping is to identify the potentially significant environmental and socioeconomic issues requiring detailed analysis, alternatives (e.g., alternative sites, technologies, layouts, scales, etc.) to be evaluated and potential mitigation options. Scoping helps the agency focus environmental review on the most important issues but also helps define alternatives and additional data needs. The Project proposer is required to pay the DNR costs for conducting all phases of the EIS process, including any costs for the DNR to hire consultants to assist with the scoping and preparation of the EIS.
The project would be located approximately 30 miles west of Cloquet, Minnesota, approximately 1.5 miles north of the City of Tamarack and approximately 10 miles east of McGregor, Minnesota.
The DNR will prepare a Scoping Environmental Assessment Worksheet (SEAW) and Draft Scoping Decision Document (DSDD). The SEAW will identify the Project's potentially significant impacts warranting detailed analysis for public consideration. The DSDD will propose alternatives, necessary studies and additional data needs. These documents will be posted below when they become available and the DNR will announce an opportunity for the public to provide comments.
The DNR will provide website access to information about the Project throughout the environmental review process. This might include status updates, factsheets, and proposer-developed data and studies. It is possible that some information received by the DNR will not be posted. Items not posted could include general responses from the proposer to DNR questions, information that lacks accessibility when received, large-sized documents or those that are highly technical in nature. All documents in DNR’s possession will be available by request.
- Fact sheets
The DNR created the following fact sheets (downloadable PDFs) to explain the environmental review process and other project-related considerations.
- Scoping EAW and draft scoping decision document
Scoping documents (SEAW and DSDD) will be posted here when available. The DNR will solicit comments on the SEAW and DSDD when these documents are complete. In combination, these two documents will provide a blueprint for EIS preparation.
- Other DNR documents
- DNR news releases and statements
News release: DNR receives mining proposal from Talon Metals
Other agencies involved
Project-related information from other agencies will be posted here when available. The DNR is coordinating with other state and federal agencies and tribal governments throughout the environmental review process.
Tamarack Mining Project – proposer documents
Below are documents prepared by Talon to provide supporting data and analysis for the EIS. New documents will be posted on as available.
IMPORTANT: These documents are posted as provided by Talon to inform interested parties, and the DNR makes no claim on the accuracy of the content provided below. As RGU, the DNR will assess the accuracy and completeness of all information used in the EIS, including proposer-provided information. This is an ongoing activity.
- Proposer information and documents
- October 11, 2023 - Tamarack Mining Project Submitted EAW Form
- Figure 1: Project Location
- Figure 2: USGS 7.5 Minute map
- Figure 3: Site Layout
- Figure 4: Stormwater Management Areas
- Figure 5: Zoning and Land Use
- Figure 6: Surficial Geology
- Figure 7: Bedrock Geology
- Figure 8: Topography
- Figure 9: Soils
- Figure 10: Watersheds
- Figure 11: Surface Waters
- Figure 12: Floodplains
- Figure 13: Wetlands
- Figure 14: Minnesota County Well Index
- Figure 15: Depth to Water
- Figure 16: Water Treatment Plant Discharge Route
- Figure 17: Contamination and Hazardous Waste
- Figure 18: Sensitive Ecological Resources
- Figure 19: Cultural Resources
- Talon Response to DNR Comments
- June 21, 2023 - Tamarack Mining Project Submitted EAW Form
- Figure 1 Project Location
- Figure 2 USGS 7.5 Minute map
- Figure 3 Site Layout
- Figure 4 Stormwater Management Areas
- Figure 5 Water Treatment Plant Discharge
- Figure 6 Zoning and Land Use
- Figure 7 Surficial Geology
- Figure 8 Bedrock Geology
- Figure 9 Topography
- Figure 10 Soils
- Figure 11 Watersheds
- Figure 12 Surface Waters
- Figure 13 Floodplains
- Figure 14 Wetlands
- Figure 15 Minnesota County Well Index
- Figure 16 Depth to Water
- Figure 17 Contamination and Hazardous Waste
- Figure 18 Sensitive Ecological Resources
- Figure 19 Cultural Resources