Record of Decision on Environmental Assessment Worksheet
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR), as the Responsible Governmental Unit for environmental review of the Upper Lightning Lake Water Level Management project in Grant and Otter Tail Counties, Minnesota, has issued the attached Record of Decision regarding the Need for an Environmental Impact Statement for the project.
The MDNR has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement is not required because the project does not have the potential for significant environmental effects. The justification for this determination is contained in the Record of Decision. The Record of Decision also contains the Department's responses to all substantive written comments received on the Environmental Assessment Worksheet during the 30-day review and comment period.
Issuing this Record of Decision concludes the State environmental review process for this project according to the Minnesota Environmental Quality Board rules, Minnesota Rules, part 4410.1000 to 4410.1700. This project can proceed to permitting and approvals.
For additional information, or copies of the Record of Decision, please call (651) 259-5168.
- Cover Letter for Record of Decision (September 22, 2014)
- Record of Decision (September 15, 2014)
- Attachment A: comments received during the 30-day review and comment period
The proposed project:
The public watercourse that connects Upper Lightning Lake to downstream Denton Slough has become filled with narrowleaf/hybrid cattail and sediment. The MDNR Section of Wildlife is proposing to install a pump and lift station at the outlet of Upper Lightning Lake to manage water levels on Upper Lightning Lake, and improve wetland wildlife habitat and water quality.
Public notice of the availability of this EAW was in the July 7, 2014 EQB Monitor. A 30-day public review and comment period was open from July 7, 2014 through August 6, 2014.
- Upper Lightning Lake Water Level Management Project Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) including the Cover Letter
- Attachment A: Preliminary Design Plans for the Downstream Channel
- Attachment B: Preliminary Design Plans for the Structure and Upstream Channel
- Attachment C: Existing Ground Profile
- Attachment D: Design Report for Upper Lightning Lake
- Attachment E: Draft Management Plan for Upper Lightning Lake
- Attachment F: Minnesota State Historic Preservation Office correspondence
Written and signed comments on the EAW were due by Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Ecological and Water Resources, Box 25
Attn: Jill Townley
500 Lafayette Road St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
Send to [email protected]. "Upper Lightning Lake EAW" must be included in the subject line. Include your name and mailing address so that you can be added to the mailing list.
Submit signed comment letters by fax to (651) 296-1811.
Please call (651) 259-5168 if you have questions about this EAW.