This rulemaking will change the rules affecting seasons and lakes where whitefish and ciscoes can be netted.
- What will this rulemaking will do?
- The proposed expedited rules modify the seasons and lakes associated with whitefish and cisco netting as follows:
- Changing the name of the chapter from “Open Seasons for Taking Whitefish and Ciscoes” to “Open Seasons for Netting Whitefish and Ciscoes.”
- Removing Ely, Green, and Mille Lacs from Schedule I and removing Big Bass and Jack from Schedule II.
- Moving Big Balsam, Greenwood, Ida, Nashwauk, Rachel, Side, and South Sturgeon lakes to Schedule II.
- Changing the open dates denoted for Season “A” from the “Second Friday of October through the first Sunday of December” to the “Third Friday of October through the second Sunday of December.”
- Combining Wilson Bay and Gull Lake as Gull Lake.
- Adding Welch Lake to Schedule II.
- Correcting the spelling of Lake Vermilion in Schedule I.
The DNR is using an expedited rulemaking procedure to make these changes as soon as possible.
- Who might be affected by these rule changes?
- Whitefish and cisco recreational netters
- Whitefish and cisco anglers
- Where do I send my comments?
You have until 4:30 p.m. on Friday, May 26, 2023, to submit comments to the DNR contact person listed below.
You may request a hearing on these rules. If at least 50 persons submit a valid request for a hearing and a sufficient number do not withdraw their requests (reducing the number below 50), then a public hearing will be held before an administrative law judge. The Notice of Intent to Adopt Expedited Rules tells you how to submit a request for hearing to the DNR contact person.
- Where can I get more information?
- DNR contact person
Fisheries populations monitoring and regulations manager
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4020