How do I report the location of an invasive aquatic animal?

An invasive species may already be recorded for your lake or waterbody. If you know what species you have, you can check the infested waters list to see if it is already recorded.  If the invasive species is already recorded for your waterbody, there is no need to submit a report.

 Report the following species:


  • Zebra mussel
  • Rusty crayfish
  • Spiny waterflea
  • Faucet snail
  • Chinese and Banded Mystery snails
  • New Zealand mud snail


  • Common Carp
  • Invasive Carp
    • Bighead carp
    • Silver carp
    • Grass carp
    • Black carp
  • Round Goby
  • Ruffe
  • Sea lamprey

If the species has not been recorded in your location, or if you are not sure what you have, or not sure if it is of interest, follow these steps:

1. Map it

Note where you found the animal (where on the lake, which access, near which road, etc. If you have a GPS unit, you could take GPS coordinates).

2. Take photos or make a collection

For invertebrates (mussels, snails, etc.) collections are required. Positive identification cannot be made on photos alone.
When making a collection of an aquatic invertebrate:

  • Label with specific location, date, your name
  • For aquatic invertebrates, place the animal in a jar with rubbing alcohol
  • Deliver to an invasive species specialist (link to contact page)

For fish: If you catch a fish that you suspect is an invasive species, freeze the fish.  If you have a digital camera, take photos of fish. Include close-ups. Once you've shared the photos with a DNR employee, they may ask you to deliver the sample.

3. Identification

Do you know what you have? Resources:
For fish, check the Guide to Fish Invaders of the Great Lakes Region
The aquatic invasive animals identification webpages have information on fish and invertebrates. 
Need more help with identification? Who can help you identify the species?
Contact your local invasive species specialist.

4. Who do I contact to report the species?

If the species is one that should be reported and hasn't been reported for your waterbody, then contact your local invasive species specialist.

Back to top