How do I report the location of an invasive aquatic plant?

An invasive species may already be recorded for your lake or waterbody. If you know what species you have, you can check the infested waters list to see if it is already recorded. If the invasive species is already recorded for your waterbody, there is no need to submit a report.

 Report the following species:

The main species of concern are Prohibited, Regulated, or Unlisted invasive aquatic plants) or Early Detection Aquatic Plants.

Invasive Species known to be in Minnesota. These are invasive species that are known to be in Minnesota waters, but their distribution is still limited.

  • curly-leaf pondweed (Potamogeton crispus)
  • Eurasian watermilfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum)
  • brittle naiad (Najas minor)
  • flowering rush (Butomus umbellatus)
  • nonnative waterlilies (Nymphaea spp.)
  • yellow iris or yellow flag (Iris pseudacoris)

Invasive Species not known to be in Minnesota waters (some are legal for aquariums and watergardens, see what every watergardener should know). No aquatic plants should be released into Minnesota waters.

  • African oxygen weed (Lagarosiphon major)
  • aquarium watermoss or giant salvinia (Salvinia molesta)
  • Australian stone crop (Crassula helmsii)
  • Brazilian waterweed (Egeria densa)
  • Carolina fanwort or fanwort (Cabomba caroliniana)
  • Chinese water spinach (Ipomoea aquatica)
  • European frog-bit (Hydrocharis morsus-ranae)
  • hydrilla (Hydrilla verticillata)
  • Indian swampweed (Hygrophila polysperma)
  • parrot's feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum)
  • water aloe or water soldiers (Stratiotes aloides)
  • water chestnut (Trapa natans)

If the species has not been recorded in your location, or if you are not sure what you have, or not sure if it is of interest, follow these steps:

1. Map it

Note where you found the plant (where on the lake, which access, near which road, if you have a GPS unit, you could take GPS coordinates).

2. Take photos or make a collection

If you have a digital camera, take photos of the plants. Include close-ups of the leaves, their attachment to the stem, and any flowering structures that might be present.
When making a collection of an aquatic plant:

  • Keep in a plastic bag with water
  • Label with specific location, date, your name
  • Refrigerate the sample

* If it turns out you don’t need to submit the sample to a DNR invasive species specialist, please dispose of the sample properly by sealing the aquatic plant in a plastic bag and disposing of it in the trash.

3. Identification

Do you know what you have? Resources:

Need more help with identification? Your local invasive species specialist can help you with identification.

Contact the specialist and email your photos. If you made a collection, they may ask you to deliver it to them.

4. Who do I contact to report the species?

If the species is one that should be reported and hasn't been reported for your waterbody, then contact your local invasive species specialist.

Back to top