See your location with our GeoPDF maps
Cell service is not needed
Don't get lost in the woods, navigate large remote areas using DNR Geospatial PDFs ("GeoPDFs") on your mobile device. Display your current location like Google Maps, but you don't have to be connected to the internet or have cell service while using the maps.
Note: mobile service or internet is required for initial download of both the Avenza app and GeoPDFs from the DNR.
You need a GeoPDF app on your phone!
Your smartphone does not have a GeoPDF viewer on it by default. For a GeoPDF to work correctly, you need to first download an app like Avenza Maps – otherwise, the map will not display your current location.
- Make sure your mobile device is connected to the internet while downloading the application and map.
- Download the free Avenza Maps app for your iOS or Android mobile device as outlined below. The app is used to read the GeoPDF and display your location.
- Download GeoPDFs from our GeoPDF Downloader.
Available GeoPDF maps
- DNR Recreation Basemap
- State Parks
- OHV Trails
- Water Trails
- Most State Forests
- Many Scientific and Natural Areas
- Trout Stream Angling
- Water Access
- State Trails
- Hunter Walking Trails (Available on the Hunter Walking Trails webpage and in the Avenza app map store)
Avenza Maps app is available on Android and iOS
Download the free Avenza Maps app from these app stores
Once the GeoPDF has been downloaded:
- Open Avenza Maps
- Tap the add button
- Tap “download or import a map”
- Tap “From Device Storage”
- Navigate to the recently downloaded map
The map will then open in Avenza Maps.
Once the GeoPDF has downloaded:
- Open the map
- Tap the upload button
- In the list of app icons, scroll to Avenza Maps or to the "more" on the far right and choose Avenza Maps
The map will now show as being available in Avenza Maps.
Note: The free version is limited to having three maps downloaded to the app at any one time.