Experience the sights and smells of the prairie as you travel into the bison range at Blue Mounds State Park on this educational 90-minute bus tour. Bison are wild and unpredictable and may not be visible along the tour route -- or they may be as close as 75 feet.
Rates, schedule, and reservations
- Adults (ages 13+): $10
- Youth (ages 4-12): $6
Youth 4-8 years old are required to use a booster seat.
No youth under 4 years old permitted on the vehicle due to safety restrictions.
A vehicle permit is required to enter all Minnesota state parks. ($7/day or $35/year).
The current schedule is available on the ticket reservation site.
Reservations are recommended. Refunds will not be available for late or no-show ticket holders.
Reserve tickets online or by phone at 866-857-2757.
Important! Reserved tickets must be picked up at the park office on the day of the tour at least 15 minutes prior to the tour departure time.
Tickets can be purchased at the park office from opening until 15 minutes prior to the start of the tour time.
What to expect
- Tours are 1.5 hours long.
- Holds 12 passengers 4 years of age or older.
- Vehicle has close seating and is open-sided – dress for the weather.
- Bison are wild and unpredictable and may not be visible along the tour route, or they may be as close as 75 feet.
- Route is off-road and bumpy - may cause motion sickness.
- Pets, emotional support, or therapy animals are not allowed - service animals welcome.
- Prescription glasses, sunglasses, or safety glasses must be worn on the vehicle – safety glasses are available to borrow.
- Children 4 to 8 years must use a booster seat – some are available to borrow.
- Tours will be canceled in severe weather, heavy rainfall, or if trail conditions are poor.
- Water is allowed in a closed container but no other food or drinks.
- No monopods and tripods.
- Leave tobacco and vapor products in your vehicle.
- Use restrooms before boarding -- trip is 1.5 hours long.
The tour vehicle is equipped with a lift and can accommodate one wheelchair per tour. Please notify the park if you wish to use the lift or would like to use the wheelchair accessible spot at 507-283-6050.
Getting to the park
GPS directions to the park are unreliable and may lead you to the incorrect entrance for tour check-in. Check in for tours is located at the park office on 161st/County Road 20. Tours are inaccessible from the interpretive center or climbing parking lots.
- North from interstate 90: The park office is 5.5 miles north from exit 12.
- South from Pipestone, Minnesota: 21 miles south on Highway 75.
The Prairie and Bison Tour is made possible with funding from the Environmental and Natural Resources Trust Fund and the Minnesota Clean Water, Land, and Legacy Amendment.