- Camp only in designated campsites, which are often available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Riverbed camping next to private property is not permitted.
- Stay off private property. Stop only at designated sites; much of the shoreland is private property.
- Be sanitary! Use designated toilet facilities or bury human waste away from the water.
- Follow the rules for firewood. State forests allow you to gather dead wood for a fire, but state parks do not.
Campgrounds, state park, municipal and private
- Generally located inland.
- Good base camp for day trips.
- Fees are charged and reservations are advisable.
Primitive kayak/backpack campsites in state parks
- These primitive state park sites are accessible by water or foot trail only.
- Most have fire rings.
- Reservations are required.
- All state park rules apply and all vehicles must have a state park vehicle permit.
Water trail kayak campsites
- One-night maximum stay, weather permitting.
- Group sizes are limited to six paddlers; please be courteous to others sharing adjacent sites.
- Primitive sites accessible only from the water.
- No vehicle parking allowed or available.
- First-come, first-served sites, with no fee charged at this time.
- No fires allowed.
- Please leave campsites as clean or cleaner than you find them, and carry out all trash.
- Low impact camping.
Please tread very lightly when you are on land.
- Use only established trails. Notice that even what appears to be a "plain" rock surface is actually covered with many brightly colored lichens, mosses and tiny plants. Avoid walking on mosses and lichens along the shore.
- The use of camp stoves at campsites is recommended. Within state parks, campfires are allowed in fire rings only.
- Camp in groups of 6 or less. Camp only in designated areas that are marked on the map.
- Respect private homes and property along the shore! Please take breaks and camp only at designated areas.
Drinking water is not provided at most campsites. Be prepared to treat all water from the lake and rivers. Carry all your water needs when paddling.