Is your home firewise?
As a homeowner you must realize that the threat of wildfire is real. Minnesota alone has more that 2,200 fires a year.
Fire is an inherent danger to having a home in the woods, but that doesn't mean you can't something about it. In fact, creating a defensible space around your house will enable your home to survive a wildfire.
- Creating a firewise property
- Measuring the fire hazard of your rural or forest home
- Will your home survive? 50 things you can do to protect your home
- 25 tips to make your home firewise
Publications and resources
- Prepare for Wildfire: The Hwy 1 Fire Wake-Up call - This video addresses community preparedness in the face of the recent Highway 1 wildfire in Ely, Minnesota. It gives residents the tools they need to prepare for this kind of event should it happen again in the future.
- Living With Fire: Why and How - This video provides information and useful tools for residents who live in a fire prone environment to reduce their risk of property loss.
- Firewise Landscaping in Northeastern Minnesota - Full version
- Firewise Landscaping in Northeastern Minnesota - 2 page brochure
- Anatomy of a Firewise home
- Fire ecology, behavior and home
- 25 tips to make your home Firewise
- Conducting a home risk evaluation
- When a fire approaches (From firewise.org)
- Wildfire...are you prepared?
- Is your home protected from wildfire?
- Firewise watch outs!