Not sure how to fish Lake Superior or a North Shore stream?
Countless others have been in your shoes and they are now catching fish.
So, step one is to concede you need a little help. Don’t feel intimidated by this. It is normal. Besides, all sorts of folks will gladly help you, including bait and tack shop staff, trout fishing organization members and local fishing guides. So, ask away. Their counsel is your ticket to future good times.
The information that follows is not an endorsement of any business or organization. It is simply a listing of helpful trout and salmon fishing information throughout the Arrowhead region of Minnesota.
- Great Lakes Fly Shop is a full-service fly shop located in Duluth. It has been a staple for local fly anglers since opening in 2000. Staff are extremely passionate about fly fishing, assisting new anglers, tying flies, and hosting social and learning events such as movie nights, casting classes and beer n’ bugs. It is a logical place to get advice on equipment and fishing techniques. Phone number is 218-740-3040.
- Fly Box and Company is located in downtown Grand Marais. The store offers a variety of fly fishing gear and outdoor apparel. The store also provides a guide service staffed by local anglers who know the best places to fish. Guides provide both casting instruction and the all gear you need. Phone number is 218-370-9659.
- The Gitche Gumme chapter of Trout Unlimited serves Northeast Minnesota. This chapter works to protect, preserve and enhance local trout populations. Trout Unlimited monthly meetings are a good place to learn angling techniques while also learning about trout and habitat conservation. Trout Unlimited members are very welcoming.
- The Arrowhead Fly Fishersis a group dedicated to fly angling and to preserving fisheries throughout the Arrowhead region. The group often hosts casting classes and guest speakers from throughout the state. Club meetings are typically held every third Tuesday of the month with a social hour and casting practice starting at 6 p.m. and program/speaker at 7 p.m.
- Minnesota Steelheader is devoted to the steelhead rainbow trout that swim in the North Shore tributaries of Lake Superior. The organization’s website is packed with helpful angling information. The organization is very active on social media, especially when steelhead are running.
- Women on the Fly is a program of the Minnesota Steelheader organization. This outreach effort is dedicated to helping women get on the water and enjoy North Shore fishing.
- The W.J. McCabe Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of Americais the Duluth chapter of this national conservation organization. Frequently referred to as the “Ikes,” the league is one of America’s oldest conservation organizations. Attending an Ikes chapter meeting is a good way to learn about local environmental issues and angling insights.
- Lake Superior Steelhead Association is an organization whose mission is to protect and improve the cold water fishery of the Lake Superior region and to bring various groups of anglers together in an atmosphere of friendship so they can work for their and the resources common good.
Certified casting instructors
Those who want to learn to fly cast or improve their existing skills can reach out to the following certified fly casting instructors.
- Len Anderson - (218) 499-8051 - can also be reached at [email protected]
- Paul Bartlam - (218) 390-0764 – can also be reached at [email protected]
- Todd Heggestad - 218) 310-9182 – can also be reached at [email protected]
- Larry Zelen - (507) 382-7793 – can also be reached at [email protected]
- Tim Gross - (218) 391-3556 – can also be reached at [email protected]
Adapted from JS-Outdoors, Duluth, Minn. To view the complete article go to https://js-outdoors.com/fishing/northern-minnesota-fishing-resources/