January 19, 2022
Changes to program standards from the Arbor Day Foundation for all 2022 applications.
For 2022, an Arbor Day celebration and proclamation will be required to earn or maintain Tree City USA certification. An Arbor Day celebration will also be required to earn or maintain Tree Campus Higher Education and Tree Line USA recognition. Communities, campuses, and utilities have many ways to meet this standard, including:
- In-person gathering (e.g., community tree planting or festival)
- Virtual event (e.g., webinar or live streamed tree planting)
- Social media post or campaign
- Mail outreach (e.g., A Right Tree, Right Place educational flier)
- Tree distribution
- Direct, in-person outreach or trainings (e.g., workshops educating community members about their community trees)
Proclamations should declare a local Arbor Day, and ideal celebrations will occur on or near Arbor Day. However, this is not a requirement.