State and federal environmental review of the proposed PolyMet Mining Inc. project
State PolyMet Website
The State has launched a new site dedicated to Minnesota's permitting process for PolyMet's proposed NorthMet mining project.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources as Responsible Governmental Unit is charged with determining the adequacy of the Final EIS for the proposed NorthMet Mining Project and Land Exchange.
The DNR has determined that the Final EIS for the proposed NorthMet Mining Project and Land Exchange is adequate.
The adequacy determination marks the end of the state Environmental Impact Statement process under the Minnesota Environmental Policy Act, but it does not mean the NorthMet project has been approved or may proceed to construction. Additional environmental analysis and evaluation will occur upon receipt of permit applications.
Printed copies are available for review at the following locations:
- DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul
- DNR Regional Office, 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids
- DNR Lands and Minerals Regional Office, 1525 Third Avenue East, Hibbing
- Hoyt Lakes Public Library, 206 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Hoyt Lakes
- Babbitt Public Library, 71 South Drive, Babbitt
- Duluth Public Library, 520 West Superior Street, Duluth
- Minneapolis Public Library, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis
A copy of the Record of Decision may also be obtained upon request by contacting Lisa Fay, DNR EIS Project Manager, at [email protected] or 651-259-5110.
The DNR and other state agencies will be providing web-based information about the permitting process for the NorthMet project. We will link to information about permitting as it becomes available.
We've prepared the following Fact Sheets (downloadable PDFs).