MPARS Frequently Asked Questions

Who should use MPARS?
MPARS is designed for applicants and permittees to:

  • apply for new water appropriation, public waters work, dam safety, aquatic plant management, and invasive aquatic plant management permits, and preliminary well assessments
  • view and request changes or renewals to existing permits
  • pay permit related fees
  • report compliance data
  • communicate with DNR staff

For waters permits, how do I apply to be covered under a general permit?
The application process is the same for individual permits and authorizations under general permits. All activities currently covered by general permits require prior authorization from the DNR with the exception of dock platforms covered under General Permit No. 2008-0401. Applicants should click on the "Apply for a New Permit/Authorization" link on their Account Overview page to begin the application process.

Once an application is received, a DNR hydrologist will determine if the proposed activity can be covered under an existing general permit or if an individual permit will be required. If a general permit authorization is applicable, the application fee is$100.00. If a general permit is not applicable, the appropriate fee will be determined for an individual permit.

Are paper permit applications still accepted?
Applicants are encouraged to use the online system given the faster processing time and other benefits but paper forms will still be accepted.

What if I don't have access to a computer?
MPARS can be accessed anywhere there is an Internet connection, including libraries and community centers.

Can I pay permit-related fees online?
Yes, MPARS users are strongly encouraged to pay all application and permit-related fees online via credit card, debit card, or electronic funds transfer. Users are directed to the secure banking website of the state's electronic payment provider and then returned to MPARS. Online payments are processed immediately, which means DNR staff can start reviewing your application materials much faster than if they have to wait for a mailed check to arrive.

Do I have to have an email address to create a MPARS account?
Yes. You must have an email account in order to establish a MPARS account and receive messages from the system about your applications and permits. However, you can have an agent (consultant, contractor, relative, etc.) set up an account and receive correspondence on your behalf.

Will I be able to start an application and finish it at a later time?
Yes. MPARS users can begin work on an application, save it, exit, and return later to complete and submit it. Users can also request amendments or terminations of permits.

Who should I contact if I have questions?
For Water Appropriation, Public Waters Work, or Dam Safety permits, contact a DNR Hydrologist or send a message to [email protected]
For Aquatic Plant Management permits, contact an APM Specialist or send a message to [email protected]
For Invasive Aquatic Plant Management permits, contact an Invasive Species Specialist or send a message to [email protected]

Back to top