The group center is situated on the banks of the Whitewater River in the southwest area of the park, surrounded by 200-foot high pine-covered dolomite cliffs. It is open year-round, with a maximum overnight capacity of 132 people.
There are eight cabins, all with heat and electricity. Seven cabins sleep 18 each in two rooms with four bunkbeds and one room with two single beds. Cabin 8 is a counselor’s cabin/infirmary and features three rooms with seven single beds. Cabin 8 also includes a sink and toilet during peak season.
The lodge has a commercial kitchen and a dining hall with a fireplace and rustic tables and benches for up to 150 people. The outdoor area has a fire ring and picnic tables.
- $5 per person, per night OR minimum per night charge, whichever is greater. Tax additional.
- Day use: $100 per day (utilities included).
- Pre-camp and/or post-camp periods for program leaders to set-up or wrap-up their events: $100 per night.
April 16 - October 14: $360.00, including utilities.
October 15 - April 15: $130.00, utilities not included.
The group center is not in the Minnesota state park reservations system. Call the park to reserve: 507-312-2302.
The large kitchen offers:
- 144 plates, cups, and eating utensils
- 2 heavy duty 16 quart pots with lids
- 4 stainless steel 16 quart mixing bowls and 4 serving spoons
- Cupboards and Corian counter tops
- Commercial stove with two ovens
- 6 burners and a griddle
- Walk-in cooler, freezer and refrigerator
- Commercial dishwasher (detergent is provided)
- Stainless steel work/serving tables
- Storage room
- Half bath
- Brooms, dustpans, mops, and buckets (To minimize cost, each group is responsible for cleaning the camp before checkout.)
Remember to bring:
- Sleeping bags or other bedding
- Cookware, coffee pot, toaster, outdoor grill
- Dish and hand soap, towels, dish cloths, sponges, etc.
- Toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags (13 & 39 gallon size)
- Toilet bowl cleaner & brushes
- Non-abrasive cleaner
- Wood floor cleaner (The mops provided are the large rag type. If your wood floor cleaner recommends a different type of mop, you may bring them. Water damages wood floors.)
Arrival and departure:
Check-in: between 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Alert the park staff well in advance, if you will be arriving after 3:00 p.m. to arrange for the keys.
Check-out: 11:00 a.m.
Park staff will inspect that everything is clean (about 1 hour) at 10:00 am on check-out day. Check that everything is clean and removed from the buildings before 10:00 am. A cleaning checklist is posted on the kitchen bulletin board and is included in the reservation packet information.
With an additional day use charge, you may be able to arrange different check-in and check-out times, if the camp is available.
- Heating and utilities
Utilities are charged during winter use, October 15 to April 15. This cost varies according to the outside temperatures, the number of cabins heated and temperature of the cabins. Gas and electric meters are read before and after your stay. The estimated cost for utilities is $125.00 per night. The summer rate includes utility charges.
Can be purchased at the park office for $6.00/bundle. To arrange a large delivery, call prior to your stay. Don't move firewood! Burning non-local firewood can spread invasive species, and it's against Minnesota state law. Buy your firewood from the park or use approved firewood.
No pets other than hearing or seeing-eye dogs or other service animals are allowed in state park buildings, lodging, cabins, and camper cabins, on tours or in beach areas.
Recreational vehicles (RVs) will be allowed, if needed, for the elderly, handicapped or for medical reasons. Sleeping tents are not permitted at the Modern Group Camp.
- Party tents
If you are planning on having a large party tent, ask us where it can be placed.
|IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY CALL 911|
If someone needs to reach you for an emergency call, the Group Center: 507-932-4406 or the park office during office hours: 507-312-2301.
The only cell phone service is AT&T. For other carriers there is cellular service south on State Highway 74, towards St. Charles. Bring a prepaid phone card to the phone located at the "Whitewater State Park Modern Group Center" if you need to make long distance calls.