Download map - winter map - order maps
Map 1 - Cayuga St. to Larpenteur Ave.
Map 2 - Larpenteur Ave. to Century Ave.
Map 3 - Century Ave. to County Rd. 12
Map 4 - County Rd. 12 to Pine Point Park.
what is a geoPDF?
The Gateway State Trail is an 18 mile multiple use trail that begins in the city of St. Paul, travels northeast through the cities of Maplewood, North St. Paul, and Oakdale, through Washington County, and ends at Pine Point Regional Park, just four miles northwest of the city of Stillwater. Located on a former Soo Line Railroad grade, the trail is generally level and wheelchair accessible. East of I-694, an adjacent unpaved trail provides ten miles of horseback riding and carriage driving.
This paved trail passes through a cross-section of urban areas, parks, lakes, wetlands and fields in Ramsey and Washington Counties. Many trail users are surprised to find rural landscapes so close to the metro area. Others appreciate the access it provides to downtown St. Paul and the State Capitol Complex. The Gateway also provides connections to many local and regional trails, including Phalen-Keller Regional Park and the Bruce Vento Regional Trail.
- Virtual tours
- Trail uses
East of Interstate 694, an adjacent unpaved trail is available for horseback riding and carriage driving. The unpaved treadway is approximately ten miles long, and runs through the more rural section of the trail.
Accessible Outdoors (electric wheelchairs allowed)
- Trail events
Events CalendarScroll table right to see more »
01/27/23 Gateway State Trail Candlelight Walk Gateway State Trail, Mahtomedi MN
Do not leave valuables in your vehicle!
Parking is available at the following trail accesses:
- The North Saint Paul Trailhead, between First Street and Second Street just north of Seventh Avenue, next to the wind turbine
- Flicek Park (City of Maplewood)
- Maplewood Community Center, south of the intersection of County Road B and White Bear Avenue
- Highway 36 and 2nd Street in North St. Paul
- At Arlington Avenue
- 55th Street, east of Hadley Avenue (southwest corner of Highway 36 and I-694)
- Mahtomedi Athletic Fields – Green Lot (north of Hwy. 12, designated trail parking spots only)
- Jamaca Avenue (at Jeffrey Avenue)
- Near Lake Masterman on State Highway 96 in Grant, under the Gateway State Trail bridge
- Pine Point Regional Park, five miles north of Stillwater (fee charged)
- Parking is also available along city streets that cross the trail
Directions to Cayuga/L'Orient Trailhead
There is no parking lot at this trailhead; street parking is available on Agate Street, one block west of the trailhead. (Lat. 44.997; Long. -93.091)
- From the east: I-94 W to exit 242B for I-35 E north. Take exit 108 Cayuga Street. Turn right on Cayuga Street and go west to the Frontage Road/L’Orient. Trailhead is at the NW corner of the intersection.
- From the west: I-94 E to exit 242B for I-35 E north. Take exit 108 Cayuga Street. Turn right on Cayuga Street and go west to the Frontage Road/L’Orient. Trailhead is at the NW corner of the intersection.
- From the Capitol: Go east on University Avenue to Jackson Street. Turn left and go north on Jackson Street. At the entrance to the Oakland Cemetery, turn right on Sycamore Street and then turn left and go north on Jackson Street to Cayuga Street. Turn right and go east on Cayuga Street. Trailhead is at the NW corner of Cayuga Street and the Frontage Road/L’Orient intersection.
Restroom facilities are provided along the trail at these points:
- Parking lot at 55th St., east of Hadley
- Jamaca Ave. (May-October only)
- Hwy 36 and 2nd Street in North St. Paul
- Hwy 96, under the trail bridge (May-October only)
- Lansing Ave. (May-October only)
- Pine Point Regional Park
- Other adjacent city and regional parks along the trail
In the winter, the western portion of the trail between Cayuga Street in St. Paul and Jamaca Avenue in Grant is plowed. The eastern portion between Jamaca Avenue and Pine Point Regional Park is not maintained and can be used by bikers, hikers, snowshoers, and skiers.
- Trail association