Knife River was built in the early 1970s and operated as a private marina under Lake County ownership until the Minnesota DNR took over in 2001. The marina and access were acquired to assure continued public access to Lake Superior, provide a safe harbor and needed services to enhance the Lake Superior Small Craft Harbor System. This 100 slip full-service marina is operated for the DNR by a concessionaire, Knife River Marina (218) 834-6076.
Caution: Storms can create large waves in the harbor entrance.
- Double launch ramp
- One roll-in ramp dock and adjacent fuel dock
- Paved and gravel parking for 25 car/trailers (follow directional signs for parking)
- Portable restroom
- Diesel and premium gas available
- Full service marina, with seasonal and transient slips, pump-out, boat haul-out and repair, winter storage, yacht club and ship store
- Entrance navigation light #16495
- Restaurant and shops in vicinity
18.5 miles northeast of the Duluth Harbor Entry, 9 miles northeast of McQuade and 7 miles southwest of Two Harbors.
Approximate GPS Coordinates:
Lat 46º 56.37 Lon 91º 46.44