Click on a harbor/access name to find out more about that facility on the map.
Small craft harbors provide safe access to and use of Lake Superior by recreational water craft and small commercial vessels. Locations of harbors and access sites are listed in order from southwest to northeast along the Minnesota shoreline of Lake Superior.
Lake Superior Boating Guide: A guide to boating on the Minnesota side of Lake Superior, 64 pages, 2015 edition.
- Rice’s Point Access
Rice’s Point Access provides access to the St. Louis River, the Duluth-Superior Harbor, and Lake Superior.
- 2 launch ramps.
- 2 docks.
- 75 car/trailers parking spaces; paved parking lot.
- Portable restrooms.
- Adjacent fishing pier (great for harbor viewing too).
- Park Point Access
Park Point Access is a small boat access managed by the city of Duluth, Duluth/Superior Harbor, as part of the Park Point Recreation Area.
- Paved parking for 12 car/trailers.
- Concrete ramps.
- Adjacent to large city park/recreation area.
- Permanent restrooms.
- Protected ramp area.
- Access to the Duluth-Superior Harbor and the St. Louis River.
- Shallow draft.
- Within Duluth/Superior Harbor.
- McQuade Access
McQuade Access provides a protected public water access within a three-acre safe harbor basin.
- Four ramps: 50’ x 14’ with 5-foot minimum depth at ramp ends.
- Four docks: two in the ramp area and two staging/emergency mooring docks.
- Kayak launch in southwest corner.
- Paved parking for 60 car/trailers.
- Public restrooms (seasonal). Portable restrooms available year around.
- Three acre small craft harbor basin behind breakwaters.
- Basin depth is 8-foot minimum entry and main basin: 5-foot depth at dock and ramp ends.
- Interpretive kiosk.
- Accessible pedestrian tunnel under the highway.
- Accessible shore fishing platform on the east breakwater.
- Accessible breakwater walk and viewing area.
- Red navigation light on east breakwater light #16492.
- Restaurant and lodging in the vicinity.
- Knife River Harbor & Marina
- Double launch ramp.
- One roll-in ramp dock and adjacent fuel dock.
- Paved and gravel parking for 25 car/trailers (follow directional signs for parking).
- Portable restroom.
- Diesel and premium gas available.
- Full service marina, with seasonal and transient slips, pump-out, boat haul-out and repair, winter storage, yacht club and ship store.
- Entrance navigation light #16495.
- Restaurant and shops in vicinity.
- Two Harbors
Two Harbors features a public water access located within commercial harbor. Future site of safe harbor with marina facilities.
- Three ramps with a 150-foot crib dock that provides some protection for the ramps and two boarding docks.
- Paved parking for 54 car/trailers and 30 cars with accessible parking for three car/trailers at ramp area.
- Vault toilets.
- U.S. Army Corps breakwater.
- Walking distance to waterfront trails, downtown shops, restaurants and museums.
- View the iron ore loading docks with freighters of up 1000-feet visiting the loading facility.
- Red navigation beacon on the end of the crib dock.
- Accessible kayak launch and dock.
- Walking trail along waterfront.
- Twin Points Access
Twin Points Access is a protected public water access.
- Two ramps (shallow bay and ramp area).
- 150-foot crib dock, provides some launch ramp protection and is accessible.
- Red navigation light on the end of the crib dock.
- Paved parking for 20 car/trailers with overflow in the adjacent lot.
- Adjacent to scientific and natural area and the Gitchi-Gami State Trail.
- Shore fishing along the points.
- Silver Bay Harbor
Silver Bay Harbor features a public water access and 68 slip marina facilities located within a seven-acre safe harbor basin.
- Two ramps within small craft harbor with 5-foot minimum depth at ramp ends.
- Three make ready docks, one used primarily for divers.
- Paved parking for 20 car/trailers.
- Vault toilets.
- Fish cleaning station.
- 108 slips: 68 seasonal 25 to 110-feet; 40 transient 25 to 110-feet.
- Slips include: 110 and 240 volt power, potable water and dock boxes.
- Restrooms, showers, laundry, and pump out.
- Vending machines, limited ship store.
- Premium gas and diesel.
- Lighted buoys marking the marina entrance.
- Seven acre calm water basin.
- Taconite Harbor
Taconite Harbor is a protected public water access located within a two-acre safe harbor basin.
- Two concrete ramps (5-foot minimum depth at ramp end).
- Two docks - one is accessible.
- Paved lower lot and ramp staging area (five car/trailers).
- Gravel upper lot (35 car/trailers).
- 1.7 acre small craft harbor basin.
- Two mooring buoys (emergency or transient day use only, sizes marked on the buoys 30 to 65-feet).
- Basin depth 10-foot minimum.
- Lodging within 3 miles.
- Tofte Access
Tofte Access is a protected public water access.
- One steel mesh over rock and concrete ramp.
- Historic concrete crib dock.
- Paved parking for five car/trailers.
- Partially sheltered ramp (85-foot breakwater).
- Public park adjacent to the launch area.
- Walking distance to restaurants, local businesses, and lodging.
- Grand Marais
Grand Marais features a public water access located within commercial harbor. Limited marina facilities and mooring for transient boats.
- Two concrete launch ramps (caution: power loading holes at ramp ends).
- Two docks.
- Paved parking for 40 car/trailers spaces (during community events parking can be difficult).
- Portable restrooms.
- Walking distance to restaurants, lodging, and downtown.
- Horseshoe Bay Access
Horseshoe Bay Access is a protected public water access.
- Large concrete ramp.
- "L" shaped crib dock, provides some wave protection (may be shallow near the end of the dock area).
- Paved parking for 10 car/trailers.
- Portable restroom.
- Beautiful scenic bay.
- Grand Portage
Grand Portage is a privately owned marina and water access located within Grand Portage Bay.
- Protected launch ramp within the marina basin.
- Gravel parking for 45 car/trailers parking spaces.
- Restroom facilities. 30 slips (up to 30 feet).
- Convenience store.
- Fuel and pump-out.
- 29 full service RV sites and 10 tent sites adjacent to the marina.
- Food and lodging nearby.
- Isle Royal Ferry operates out from Voyageur Marina.