Anglers and waters
- Licensed anglers: about 1.4 million
- Fishable lakes: 5,400
- Miles of fishable rivers and streams: over 18,000
- Species of fish: 162 (although not every kind of fish lives everywhere)
Who goes fishing?
- Most resident anglers are from urban areas. However, a higher percentage of people living in rural Minnesota fish compared to the percentage of people living in urban areas who fish. 1
- Males account for 65 percent of fishing license holders. Females account for 35 percent.
- Significantly more time is spent fishing on lakes than on rivers and streams. 1
- The average Minnesota angler spends 15 days fishing each year. 1
- Walleye are the most sought-after fish in Minnesota, followed by northern pike and muskie combined, panfish, bass, crappie and trout.1
1 2011 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation, (U.S. and Minnesota reports) U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.