- Becoming a Tree City USA Grant — Closed Grant for Minnesota communities who have never been or are currently not a Tree City USA are invited to apply for grant funds to become a Tree City USA in 2019.
- Managing Ash for Emerald Ash Borer in Community Forests Grant— Closed We invite Minnesota communities to apply for grant funds to reduce the impact emerald ash borer (EAB) on community forests. Projects should help communities manage and protect ash or reduce the loss of tree canopy caused by EAB.
- Engaging Citizens to Improve our Great Lakes Watershed through Strategic Community Forestry Efforts—Closed DNR, the University of Minnesota, along with the cities of Grand Marais, Silver Bay, and Hermantown, were awarded funds provide training to, and utilize, community volunteers to plant and maintain urban trees in order to manage and reduce stormwater runoff.
Fire protection programs
- Volunteer Fire Assistance Matching Grant Program
- Wildland Equipment for Rural Fire Departments Program