Minnesota's Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Trails Assistance Program—popularly known as Grant-in-Aid (GIA) is a cost-share program
- First authorized in 1984.
- Facilitates development and maintenance of trails for use by All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs), Off-Highway Motorcycles (OHMs), and Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs) at the initiative of enthusiast groups or clubs, with the support and participation of local government sponsors.
- Funded by vehicle registration and trail pass fees plus a percentage of the state non-highway gas tax from each of the motorized groups. (The percentage of gas tax varies for each user group and is established by Minnesota Statute Chapter 296A.18).
- All aspects of OHV trail development and maintenance are eligible to receive GIA funds, including project administration, site planning, trail improvements, land acquisition for trail development, and trail maintenance.
How to apply
- Enthusiast groups or clubs apply through counties, cities or townships.
- Existing trails apply annually by November 30.
- New trail proposals are accepted at any time.
Applications, new trail proposals and more information can be obtained from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Parks and Trails Area Supervisor's office in the trail location.
For specific trail information in your area, please contact the Trails Assistance Program Grants-in-aid Parks & Trails person in your area.
MN DNR, Parks and Trails
500 Lafayette Road, Box 39
St. Paul, MN 55155-4052
Grant-in-aid trail manual
OHV GIA Manual (< 1 MB)
OHV GIA forms
- Form 1: Grant Funding Application Existing and New Trails (DOCX)
- Form 2: Off-highway Vehicle Grant Scope of Work and Cost Worksheet Maintenance/Project (DOCX)
Use this form with existing and new proposals.
Need assistance? Contact your local Parks and Trails Area Supervisor for forms and more information.
Related DNR and non-DNR programs
- MN DNR Recreation Grants
- OHV riding in Minnesota
- MN DNR Parks and Trails Division
- All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota
- Amateur Riders Motorcycle Association, district 23
- Minnesota 4 Wheel Drive Association, (MN4WDA)
- National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council