In 2012, the DNR began reviewing all state forest trail systems to identify measures to improve trail sustainability and enhance user experiences for both motorized and non-motorized uses.
In 2008, the DNR completed a forest-by-forest review of Minnesota State Forests to determine their appropriate classification with regard to Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) use. Road and trail access was also evaluated for a variety of both motorized and non-motorized recreational activities. The results of this process are summarized below.
2008 forest classification and trail route designation information
- Forest-by forest classification & route designation status table
- State-wide Classification Map
- Forest-by-Forest Route Designation Summary
- All 58 Forests: Final Route Designations
- Final Commissioner's Orders
- Implementation schedule
- Forest Classification status
- Planning Process Overview
For more information about the Off-Highway Vehicle Program, contact Joe Unger, 651-259-5279 or [email protected].