In 2012, the DNR began reviewing all state forest trail systems to identify measures to improve trail sustainability and enhance user experiences for both motorized and non-motorized uses.
In 2008, the DNR completed a forest-by-forest review of Minnesota state forests to determine their appropriate classification with regard to off-highway vehicle (OHV) use. Road and trail access was also evaluated for a variety of both motorized and non-motorized recreational activities. The results of this process are summarized below.
2008 forest classification and trail route designation information
- Forest-by forest classification & route designation status table
- State-wide classification map
- Forest-by-forest route designation summary
- All 58 forests: final route designations
- Final Commissioner's Orders
- Implementation schedule
- Forest classification status
- Planning process overview
For more information about the off-highway vehicle program, contact Molly Lou Pintok: 651-259-5095 or [email protected].