- DNR Firearms Safety Certification is required of anyone born after December 31, 1979 to purchase a hunting license in Minnesota. Check requirements in other states.
- Must successfully complete one of the Options of certification. (see below)
Receive your Firearms Safety Certification or Apprentice Validation by completing one of the following options:
- Online course- complete the online course and virtual field day
- Firearms Safety Classroom Course - currently scheduled classes below.
- Apprentice Hunter Validation (twice in a lifetime)
- The MN DNR Firearms Safety Hunter Education endorsement can be listed on the back of a Minnesota driver's license or identification card upon request.
- A MN Hunting License that includes a Firearms Safety Number is sufficient proof of course completion.
- Purchase a duplicate firearms safety certificate online or wherever hunting and fishing licenses are sold.
- For more information or assistance with purchasing a duplicate safety certificate:
- Completed training in 2011 or since: call 800-366-8917 (M-F, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Completed training before 2011: Contact the DNR Information Center
To view detailed information about a class or field day, click on its title.Scroll table right to see more »