Ages 10 – 15:
- Youth ages 10 – 15 first complete the ATV Safety Online Course at ATVcourse.com (course fee is $24.95).
- Next, attend a Hands-on Safety class: Students ages 10- 15 must register for a Hands-On ATV Safety Training class located on our Class Calendar (below). A fee may be collected by the instructor.
o The Hands-On training includes: Basic ATV operation; protecting the environment; common ATV parts and controls; MN rules and laws; responsible ATV riding skills for trail riding, and practicing/demonstrating skills on an ATV course. *Student must be fitted to the ATV they will be operating.
- Students can print their ATV Safety Certificate from the DNR website after passing the Hands-On class. Instructions are provided during class (includes DNR fee of $10). The ATV Certificate becomes valid at age 12.
Ages 16 and older
Anyone born after July 1, 1987, or who is 16 years or older can complete the ATV safety online course at ATVcourse.com (and pay all necessary fees online) to meet certification requirements. Not required to attend the ATV safety Hands-On class.
Alternate ATV safety training
Proof of completion of the ATV Rider Course offered by the All-Terrain Vehicle Safety Institute is adequate to meet the safety certificate requirements. The fee for the course is $55.
Are you a parent of a child 6 – 9 years old?
Youth ages 6 – 9 years of age may complete the free study guide at ATV Free Study Guide.
- Free course designed to provide 6 –9 year olds with introductory and basic ATV safety information.
- No riding performance course offered with this course.
- No certification upon completion of the study guide course.