Several segments of the Gitchi-Gami State Trail have been completed, totaling over 33 miles. When complete, the trail will be an 86 mile paved trail for non-motorized use, connecting Two Harbors to Grand Marais along the North Shore of Lake Superior. Much of the trail will be located in abandoned segments or right-of-way on Highway 61, while other segments will allow you to sample a diversity of the North Shore's varied environments.
A future trail segment is currently being constructed in Tofte from the US Forest Service Ranger Station to Tofte Homestead Drive. This segment is not yet open to public use. Please remain only on posted/designated trail segments, and respect any construction activity.
Updated August 24, 2021
This trail will eventually connect five state parks, several communities, four Scientific and Natural Areas, numerous historic sites, and provide vistas of Lake Superior. Trail users will travel through birch and aspen forests, cross numerous cascades and waterfalls, travel through charming and historic towns, and have the opportunity to access beaches of Lake Superior.
- Virtual tours
- Trail uses
Accessible Outdoors (electric wheelchairs allowed)
- Trail events
Events CalendarScroll table right to see more »
There are currently no event listings.
- Trail segments
Silver Creek Cliff - 1 mile
This one-mile isolated segment circumnavigates the Silver Creek Tunnel and is constructed on the old scenic Highway 61 road bed. There are 4,000 feet of continuous vistas of Lake Superior.
Gooseberry Falls State Park to Beaver Bay - 17.6 miles
This is the longest and most scenic of the currently completed trail segments; some sections with steep hills and curves. It starts in Gooseberry Falls State Park, travels through Iona's Beach SNA, Thompson Beach and Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, and ends at the Beaver River in Beaver Bay. In addition to amenities in the state parks, there is access to rest areas, camping and fishing.
Silver Bay - 2.3 miles
This segment starts at the east end of the West Road and travels inland across North Shore Mining property and ends in Silver Bay next to the Silver Bay Hockey Arena. This trail segment is not connected to the next segment (Gooseberry Falls to Beaver Bay), but you can access this trail segment from Beaver Bay by traveling east over MNDOT Beaver River Bridge and up the West Road for about .5 of a mile. The West Road is a gravel road that trail users can use to access this segment. The best access to this segment is from the Silver Bay Hockey Arena. This segment parallels the North Shore Mining Rails Road and offers spectacular views of Lake Superior from the ridge line.
Temperance River - 3 miles
This segment connects the towns of Schroeder and Tofte on the inland side of Highway 61, traveling through Temperance River State Park, crossing the Temperance River gorge and providing a scenic view of Carlton Peak. This trail segment is not connected to the next segment (Tofte to County Road 34), but you can cross the highway at the northeast end of the trail and ride through the town of Tofte on Tofte Park Road and Highway 61 to the next segment. As an alternative to riding on Highway 61, which has narrow shoulders through Tofte, bikers can walk their bikes along the lakeside path west of Bluefin Bay resort.
Tofte - 7.37 miles
This segment starts at the northeast end of Tofte and ends at County Road 5, also known as “Ski Hill Road.”
Grand Marais - 1.5 miles
The Gitchi-Gami State Trail joins the Grand Marais Corridor Trail at 8th Avenue West. The combined length of the two trails is approximately 2 miles.
Do not leave valuables in your vehicle!
Parking is available for the following trail segments:
- Silver Creek Cliff Segment: at the Silver Creek Cliff wayside rest parking lot, located on the east side of the Silver Creek Cliff tunnel.
- Gooseberry Falls State Park to Beaver Bay Segment: at the picnic flow parking lot and at the Visitor Center in Gooseberry Falls State Park; the Twin Point Public Water Access and Wayside; the Trail Center in Split Rock Lighthouse State Park; and the trail head parking lot in Beaver Bay near the Beaver River.
- Silver Bay Segment: at the Silver Bay Hockey Arena.
- Temperance River State Park Segment: at the MNDOT wayside rest on the east side of Schroeder; the trail head parking lot in Temperance River State Park; and at the Tofte Town Park Public Water Access.
- Tofte Segment: Several resorts are along this segment; always ask permission before parking at a resort! Parking is available at the Tofte Town Park off Sawbill Trail.
- Grand Marais Segment: at the Grand Marais Public Water Access near the U.S. Coast Guard Station.
- Gooseberry Falls State Park
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park
- Tettegouche State Park
- George Crosby Manitou State Park
- Temperance River State Park
- Cascade River State Park
- Restrooms and amenities are also available in the towns of Two Harbors, Castle Danger, Beaver Bay, Silver Bay, Schroeder, Tofte, Lutsen and Grand Marais