Minnesota Statutes 103B.501 - 103B.581 allows local citizen initiatives to petition counties to create lake improvement districts in order to address specific concerns within a lake watershed that cannot be addressed under normal governmental actions. Citizens and local governments willing to undertake such initiatives benefit from greater local involvement in the management of their own lakes. The DNR provides oversight and assistance.
- Lake Improvement Districts - An Overview
- Lake Improvement Districts - Questions and Answers
- Minnesota Statutes 103B.501 - 103B.581
- Minnesota Rules 6115.0900 - 6115.0980
- Flowchart Detailing How a Lake Improvement District is Formed
Kathleen Metzker, Land Use Hydrologist, -651-259-5694