Nearly one-third of Minnesota is forested
Forests, forest-related industries, and use of forests for a variety of purposes have been part of the state's history even before Minnesota became a state in 1858. Today, Minnesota forests are managed for sustaining long-term ecosystem integrity, healthy forest economics, and the communities that depend on these resources across multiple ownerships.
Minnesota's 2020 State Forest Action Plan is a partnership-based conservation plan to:
- Guide sustainable forest management across all ownerships within Minnesota
- Receive federal funds for the state's Cooperative Forest Management programs
- Guide investment in new forestry related data products, and to improve the accuracy of this information
- Meet national priorities and objectives set by the US Forest Service for State and Private Forestry programs.
The Minnesota 2020 State Forest Action Plan meets the following national priorities and objectives:
- Conserve and manage working forest landscapes for multiple values and uses
- Identify and conserve high priority forest ecosystems and landscapes
- Actively and sustainably manage forests
- Protect forests from threats
- Restore fire-adapted lands and-or reduce risk of wildfire impacts
- Identify, manage, and reduce threats to forest and ecosystem health
- Enhance public benefits from trees and forests
- Protect and enhance water quality and quantity
- Improve air quality and conserve energy
- Assist communities in planning for and reducing forest health risks
- Maintain and enhance the economic benefits and values of trees and forests
- Protect, conserve, and enhance wildlife and fish habitat
- Connect people to trees and forests, and engage them in environmental stewardship activities
- Manage trees and forests to mitigate and adapt to global climate change
New and updated forest stewardship strategies were developed to meet national priorities and objectives and the DNR's mission for State and Private Forestry programs. The state will work collaboratively with partners to implement these strategies, with a focus on protecting water resources, promoting forest-based economic development, reducing wildfire risks to communities, and enhancing wildlife habitat and forest-based recreation opportunities for all Minnesotans.
Minnesota's 2020 State Forest Action Plan
- Minnesota 2020 State Forest Action Plan Part 1 of 2: Assessment and Trends*
- Minnesota 2020 State Forest Action Plan Part 2 of 2: Strategies, Stakeholders, Successes and National Priorities*
*Pending federal requirements review and approval.
Helen Cozzetto – Forestry Project Lead
Jennifer Corcoran – Resource Assessment GIS Lead