Lesson 5:7 - Making Ice Fishing Jiggle Sticks
by Nadine Meyer
Chapter 5 of the Fishing: Get in the Habitat! Leader’s Guide contains seven of the 39 lessons, focusing on fishing equipment and skills. Students will learn how to tie knots, make their own fishing rigs, cast a closed-faced (spincasting) rod and reel, and select correct baits, lures, and fishing locations based on fish habitats and food preferences.
Fishing is a lifelong activity that takes people outdoors and provides opportunities that develop awareness, knowledge, and enjoyment of ponds, lakes, rivers, and streams. Fishing brings families together and builds friendships by strengthening bonds between those who share experiences and special memories.
Students make and rig their own ice fishing jiggle sticks.
Tips & Tricks
- This activity has many steps involved. It is important to keep all of your students on the same steps at the same time. For students that finish first - ask them to help other students.
- Have your school's shop class or a local wood worker cut and pre-drill the dowels for you. You can have them prepare more than one class' worth ahead of time.
- Keep small pieces like the screws, sinkers, and hooks in plastic containers that are clearly labeled.
- Knot tying practice materials can be made out of rope and shower curtain rings or 5" dowels with a large eye-screw attached to one end. It is helpful to clearly mark one end of the rope with permanent marker to designate the "tag" end of the "fishing line".
Your students may be interested in learning more about different ice fishing techniques. Invite a guest speaker from your local Darkhouse Association or Ice Team Representative. You may have parents that are willing to visit your class and show off their ice fishing tools and equipment as well.
MinnAqua Lesson Connections
You can use this lesson as part of a winter unit utilizing the a suite of winter and all-season lessons found in the MinnAqua Leader's Guide.
A unit may include:
- Lesson 1:6 - From Frozen to Fascinating
- Lesson 2:3 - Fish Families
- Lesson 2:8 - Fish in Winter
- Lesson 3:5 - The Lake Game
- Lesson 4:1 - Fishing Regulations and Sportsmanship
- Lesson 5:7 - Making Ice Fishing Jiggle Sticks
- Lesson 6:2 - Ice Fishing and Winter Safety
NEW: Suggested Online Student Resources
Have your students access these online resources to engage in these concepts further.
WI DNR Ice Fishing Video for Youth
MN DNR Take a Kid Ice Fishing Website
MinnAqua Ice Fishing Frenzy Youth Activity Book
DragonflyTV Do It Ice Fishing!