The Rare Species Guide is a dynamic, interactive source of information on Minnesota's endangered, threatened, and special concern species. It includes searchable species profiles, each of which includes:
- taxonomic information
- state and federal status designations
- a summary of why the species is listed in Minnesota
- Minnesota and contiguous U.S. and Canada range maps
- descriptive, habitat, and life history information
- conservation and management information
- photographs and/or illustrations
- authorship, and
- a list of references and sources of additional information
Additional information is provided in the vascular plant profiles, including:
- life form
- leaf duration
- water regime
- soil and light requirements
- a phenology graphic, and
- the best time to search for the species in Minnesota
Search for species' information in three ways:
- A-Z list search: Search for a particular species alphabetically by either common name or scientific name;
- Filtered search: Search for groups of species by broad taxonomic group; endangerment status (state, federal , CITES , USFS Sensitive ); location (county, ECS subsection, or watershed); and/or habitat; or
- Keyword search: Search for a particular word or phrase within species' profiles.
Species Included in the Guide
The species included in the Rare Species Guide are those designated as endangered, threatened, or special concern in Minnesota Administrative Rules, Chapter 6134 , parts 6134.0200 to 6134.0400. Generically, this is referred to as Minnesota's List of Endangered, Threatened, and Special Concern Species (List). The Rare Species Guide includes revisions to the List that went into effect August 19, 2013, the last date the List was updated.
The information contained in the Rare Species Guide is accurate to the best of our knowledge as of the publication date. We recognize, however, that there may be errors of which we are unaware, and all data are provided on an "as is" basis, without express or implied warranty of any sort. We encourage users to contact us about any errors or significant omissions.