The Rare Species Guide is a dynamic, interactive source of information on Minnesota's endangered, threatened, and special concern species. It includes a collection of more than 400 searchable species profiles, each of which includes:
- taxonomic information
- state and federal status designations
- Minnesota and North American range maps
- photographs and/or illustrations
- a summary of why the species is listed
- descriptive, habitat, and life history information
- conservation/management issues and recommendations
- and a summary of conservation efforts in Minnesota
Additional information is provided in the vascular plant profiles, including:
- life form
- leaf duration
- water regime
- soil and light requirements
- and a phenology graphic
The Rare Species Guide is the state's authoritative reference for Minnesota's endangered, threatened, and special concern species.
Search for species' information in three ways:
- A-Z list search: Search for a particular species alphabetically by either common name or scientific name;
- Filtered search: Search for groups of species by broad taxonomic group; endangerment status (state, federal , CITES , USFS Sensitive ); location (county, ECS subsection, or watershed); and/or habitat; or
- Keyword search: Search for a particular word or phrase within species' profiles.
Species Included in the Guide
The species included in the Rare Species Guide are those designated as endangered, threatened, or special concern in Minnesota Rules, Chapter 6134 , parts 6134.0200 to 6134.0400. Generically, this is referred to as Minnesota's List of Endangered, Threatened, and Special Concern Species (List). Work is underway to update the Rare Species Guide to incorporate the revisions to the List that went into effect August 19th, 2013. For now however, the information in the Guide reflects the 1996 list.
The information contained in the Rare Species Guide is accurate to the best of our knowledge as of the publication date. We recognize however, that there may be errors of which we are unaware, and all data are provided on an "as is" basis, without express or implied warranty of any sort. We encourage users to contact us about any errors or significant omissions.