Pass on your passion for hunting and shooting sports by teaching ethics and safety to future hunters.
Successful applicants will be trained to use methods and procedures for instructing youth and adults in hunter education firearms safety. Become certified and join a team in your community. Consider inviting friends to attend the training with you.
Current and active MN certified volunteer hunter education firearm safety instructors (HEFAS) teaching the traditional firearms safety classroom course may apply to be an ADRFD Instructor as well as new volunteers.
ADRFD (Firearms Safety) Instructor training sessions
Classroom training sessions are taught by Regional Training Officers (RTOs) with the division of enforcement and are free of charge. During the training session, you will learn about the policy and procedures, teaching concepts, use of training aids and classroom training techniques.
One of the essential requirements to becoming a volunteer safety instructor is having knowledge of the course materials you will be responsible for teaching. Many applicants have taken a firearms safety course as a youth, which may have been over 15, 20, 25 or 30 years ago. Even though the basics of firearms handling and hunting ethics have not changed for several decades, over the last 5 to 7 years, the firearms safety course content has been updated. Instructors must complete an online Hunter Ed course sponsored by HunterExam.com™.
Certified volunteer instructor requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- Pass a BCA background application check
Becoming an ADRFD (Firearms Safety) Instructor
- Process instructions - steps for new instructors and instructors seeking recertification
- Training class calendar - certified volunteer instructor classes
Information for current ADRFD (Firearms Safety) Instructors
- Supplies, forms, manuals - download training materials
- Firearms Safety materials - guides and training aid ordering information
- Online course registration - schedule your training sessions
- Online supply order - order supplies for pre-arranged safety training classes
- Regional Training Officer Map
News and events
For more information on the Education and Training Instructors program please contact us.