The Luce Line State Trail is a 63 mile long former railroad grade that is popular for biking, hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, snowmobiling and skiing. The crushed limestone trail runs from Plymouth 30 miles west to Winsted, with a parallel trail for horseback riding. From Winsted to Hutchinson the trail is paved. From Hutchinson to Cedar Mills it is crushed granite and Cedar Mills to Cosmos it is natural (mowed grass). Snowmobiles are allowed on the trail west of Stubb's Bay Road.
Stretching across the varied landscapes of metropolitan and rural Minnesota, the Luce Line is a preserved strip of countryside alive with many varieties of plants and animals. In the east the influence is woodland, a carry-over from the Big Woods that once occupied the area. Rolling stands of sugar maple and basswood, along with many colorful forest floor ground cover plants can be found here. From Hutchinson westward, the Big Woods gives way to remnants of the tall grass prairie, with many prairie plants still visible.
Wildlife inhabitants range from deer, fox and mink to owls and pheasant. Many adjacent lakes also support ducks and geese. The Luce Line is truly like a jaunt down a quiet country road.
- Virtual tours
- Trail uses
Accessible Outdoors (electric wheelchairs allowed)
- Trail events
Events CalendarScroll table right to see more »
There are currently no event listings.
Do not leave valuables in your vehicle!
Parking is available at the following trail accesses, as well as in the towns of Watertown, Winsted, Silver Lake, Cedar Mills and Cosmos:
- Carver County Road 127, south of County Road 20.
- Cedar Mills: Parking lot located on the south side of Hwy 7, east of the grain elevator.
- Cosmos: Thompson Park offers parking, 252nd Avenue and within Cosmos (on road).
- Hutchinson: Two options, both located off Highway 7, on each end of the town.
- Independence: east side of County Road 110, south of County Road 6.
- Lyndale: off County Road 92.
- Long Lake: take Old Crystal Bay Road south to Watertown Road, then west to Stubb's Bay Road. Go south 1/4 mile to the parking lot on the west side of the road.
- Plymouth: off of 10th Avenue N and Vicksburg Lane.
- Silver Lake: North side of Highway 7 at Park Avenue.
- Watertown: Just west of the town, off Vega Avenue.
- Winsted: Babcock Ave/County Road 1 and Kingsley St/County Road 9 (on road).
Restroom facilities are provided along the trail at these points:
- Highway 101
- Willow Drive (Available seasonally on-site from April-November.)
- County Road 92
- Old Long Lake Road (Available seasonally on-site from April-November.)
- Other adjacent city and regional parks along the trail.
Skiing is suggested between Vickburg Lane and Stubb's Bay Road. Ungroomed trails do not require a Ski Pass.
Snowmobiles are allowed on the trail west of Stubb’s Bay Road, but are prohibited between Vicksburg Lane and Stubbs Bay Road. Be aware of local speed limit restrictions. Snowmobiles must be registered or have a snowmobile state trail sticker.