Anglers who fish in Fillmore, Houston, Winona and portions of Olmsted and Wabasha county benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Lanesboro area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Ron Benjamin and a staff of five full-time, two seasonal and one part-time employee manage 170 miles of bass/warm-water rivers and 600 miles of trout streams. These waters include popular fishing destinations such as the Root River, Trout Run Creek and Whitewater River.
- What we do
At work for you
Lanesboro area fisheries biologists electro-fishing on a southeastern Minnesota trout stream.
- Manage more than 600 miles of trout and 170 miles of warm-water streams.
- Manage and monitor 175 miles angling easements and acquire multiple new angling easements to increase angling opportunities in southeastern Minnesota.
- Utilize professionally trained staff to improve trout habitat in 1-2 miles of streams each year.
- Conduct more than 80 stream surveys and population assessments to update more than 10 stream management plans along with long-term monitoring of 8 stream segments.
- Provide public information, education and multiple outreach programs annually. Lanesboro provides and transports fish to many southern Minnesota county fair displays.
- Manage a trout stocking program to re-introduce and foster the establishment of heritage strain brook trout; stock 360,000 brown trout fingerlings annually to augment area of poor natural reproduction; and stock 73,500 yearlings in small towns for anglers, especially youth and senior.
- Area highlights
- Where to Fish
- Accessible Trout Streams
- Fisheries Management
- Fisheries Long-Term Monitoring Program
- Fisheries Habitat Improvement
- Fisheries Research (updated December 12, 2016)
- State Park and Town Special Regulations Maps
- South Branch Root River - Preston
- South Branch Root River - Lanesboro
- Mill Creek - Chatfield
- Spring Valley Creek - Spring Valley
- Middle Branch Whitewater River, Trout Run Creek - Whitewater State Park
- Forestville Creek, Canfield Creek and South Branch Root River - Forestville State Park
- East Beaver Creek - Beaver Creek Valley State Park
- Stream Conditions
- Southeast Minnesota Trout Stream Maps
- Long-Range Plan for Trout Stream Resource Management in Southeast Minnesota 2010-2015 and Progress Report
- South Branch Whitewater River Fish Kill Report 2015 47 MB
- Driftless Trout Resource Management 2018 presentation 13 MB
- Area staff
Contact our Lanesboro staff
Ron Benjamin Area supervisor 507-467-2442, Ext. 222 [email protected] Jim Melander Habitat construction supervisor 507-467-2442 Ext 227 [email protected] Vaughn Snook Assistant area supervisor 507-467-2442, Ext. 225 [email protected] Jennifer Stensgard Office administrative specialist 507-467-2442, Ext. 221 [email protected] Jason Roloff Fisheries specialist 507-467-2442, Ext. 224 [email protected] Vacant Fisheries specialist - Travis Viker Fisheries technician 507-467-2442, Ext. 228 [email protected] Melissa Konsti Stream habitat specialist 507-875-2625 [email protected]