Harvest permits on state forest lands

DNR forester and landowner walking in landowner's woodlands

You do not need a permit to collect small amounts of berries, mushrooms, or cones from a State Forest for personal use. You also do not need a permit to collect dead fuelwood for fires while in a State Forest.

However, you must obtain a permit from a DNR Forestry office to:

  • Cut or remove any trees or plants for any reason (birch bark, birch sticks, trees and shrubs).
  • Remove wood from state land boundaries.
  • Harvest Christmas trees, decorative tops, or boughs.
  • Collect a large amount of berries, mushrooms, or dead fuelwood for personal use or for sale.
  • Tap trees for maple syrup for personal use or for sale.

DNR Forestry offices may issue permits for harvesting items in State Forests and on other DNR Forestry- or Wildlife-managed land, including:

  • Wildlife Management Areas
  • Consolidated county lands
  • Forestry-acquired lands
  • Trust fund lands

Permits must be obtained from the DNR Forestry office closest to the State Forest or DNR Forestry- or Wildlife-managed land on which you wish to collect items.

For more information, contact your local DNR Forestry office.