Terrestrial invasive species assistance opportunities for land owners

See aquatic invasive species grant page for information on grants relating to aquatic invasive species.

Terrestrial invasive plants

Management of invasive plants can take money and time. It takes consistent follow-up for success. People often ask where they can find money to help them manage invasive plants such as buckthorn, garlic mustard, or noxious weeds. This page gives potential resources for invasive species funding and/or management help. Note that many programs have specific requirements and that availability of various programs can change from year to year.

Many agencies, such as the DNR, are able to provide technical support on identification and management techniques, even if they are not able to provide funding. See invasive species profiles for information on identification and management. You may contact the DNR if you have additional questions on invasive species.


MN Department of Natural Resources (DNR)

Check out the DNR’s grants page to see if any current grants apply to you. Funds for invasive species control are often linked to broader habitat restoration activities. For example:

Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA)

The MDA maintains a webpage with a conservation funding guide. This tool can help you sort out which opportunities are applicable to your situation.

The US Department of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

The NRCS has programs that target private landowners. Often the programs target agricultural or working forest land above a certain number of acres. NRCS also provides technical assistance.

Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCDs)

SWCDs are local units of government that manage and direct natural resource management programs at the local level.  You may want to contact your local County Conservation District to see if they have funds available.  Click on your county at "SWCDs on the web".

Cooperative Weed Management Areas (CWMAs)

Find out if your county has a CWMA. They may know of any local resources that might be available. MN Board of Water and Soil Resources CWMA homepage links to current CWMAs in Minnesota.

US Fish and Wildlife Service

The Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program works with qualifying private landowners.

Private consultants

Private native vegetation consultants can be hired to help you assess your property and develop a management plan.

Back to top