Combination fishing and hunting licenses are available for Minnesota resident married couples. Non-resident married couples and non-resident parents also can purchase a family fishing license if they have children younger than 16.
New for the 2021 license year: Both you and your spouse must be present to purchase a combination license in person. Both spouses must provide and verify their customer records on file with the DNR to purchase a combination license in person, by telephone or online.
Why the change?: The change in process was made to bring us in compliance with both state and federal law. Both state and federal law require us to have on file or collect a social security numbers for all applicants. We also need to check for violations, unpaid fines and child support revocation on all applicants.
How to purchase
- In person
- Both spouses must be present at the license sales location.
- If Minnesota residents age 21 or over, both spouses must provide their current Minnesota driver’s licenses or current Minnesota identification cards.
- If not both present, one spouse may purchase their part of the license and their spouse may obtain their license at a later date at no additional charge. The spouse that is present will receive a spouse voucher number. Their spouse may obtain their license at a later date by using the spouse voucher number provided by their spouse.
- If a spouse does not have a record on file with the DNR, that spouse can create one at the sales location with their full name, birth date, social security number, and if a Minnesota resident over age 21 a current Minnesota driver’s license or current Minnesota identification card.
- Resident records can also be created by calling the DNR License Center at 1-877-348-0498 or 651-297-1230 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- By telephone
- Both spouses must have a complete customer record on file with the DNR to purchase married combination licenses by phone.
- If you have records on file, you can purchase licenses by calling 1-888-665-4236 (1-MN-LICENSE). Call any time of day or night, seven days a week. This toll-free call provides immediate licensing by way of a license identification number, which will be issued at the time of the call. The license identification number is valid until you receive an actual license in the mail. All purchases must be made by credit card. There is a 3% convenience fee for each phone transaction. For a license that is required to be mailed, the convenience fee is $1.50.
- You can create a Minnesota resident customer record with the DNR by calling the DNR License Center at 1-877-348-0498 or 651-297-1230 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You will need to provide full name, birth date, social security number, and if a Minnesota resident over age 21 a current Minnesota driver’s license or current Minnesota identification card.
- Records can also be created in person at license sales locations.
- Combination licenses may be purchased online, including via mobile device, but both spouses must have a complete customer records on file with the DNR.
- New resident customer records age 21 and over cannot be created online.
- To create a record, visit a license sales location or call the DNR License Center at 1-877-348-0498 or 651-297-1230 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- To create a Minnesota resident record you will need to provide your full name, birth date, social security number, and if a Minnesota resident over age 21 a current Minnesota driver’s license or current Minnesota identification cards.
Combination licenses available
- Resident angling
- Conservation angling, valid for half the possession limit, per spouse
- Nonresident 14-day married couple angling license
- Sports, valid for fishing for both spouses and small game hunting for the primary purchaser
- Super Sports, valid for fishing for both spouses, small game for the primary purchaser, includes two state trout stamps, and waterfowl and pheasant stamps for one spouse. It also offers the choice of a firearm, archery or muzzleloader deer license for the primary purchaser
- Family non-resident angling, for non-resident married couples and/or parents with children under 16.
- Lost voucher number
- If you lost the voucher number for your spouse, the primary (first) license buyer needs to call the DNR License Center to get the number. Call at 1-877-348-0498 or 651-297-1230 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Trouble finding name in online system
- For the system to recognize your name, it must be entered the same every time, this should be your legal name. If you are having trouble locating your file, please call the DNR license center at 1-877-348-0498 or 651-297-1230 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- I need a duplicate license
- Only the spouse who needs the duplicate license needs to be present to purchase the duplicate license. Only the license for the spouse who is present will be printed. If both spouse’s need a duplicate of their license, both will have to purchase their own duplicate license.
- Why must the spouse be present?
- Customer data is private data so accessing, creating or updating private data needs to be done with the person to whom the data applies present.
For other questions, call the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 888-MINNDNR (646-6367) 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, or via email at [email protected]n.us.