Why the DNR sells land
The DNR manages 5.6 million acres of state land, and is continually working to improve its land portfolio by selling lands that no longer meet conservation or recreation needs. These land sales are done in consultation with DNR staff, local government officials and others to ensure the state’s public land base meets the recreational needs of its citizens, continues to provide ecological benefits like clean air and water, supports natural resource-based economies, and maintains habitat for a broad variety of fish and wildlife needs. Dollars from many land sales are strategically reinvested in high-quality land purchases that will fulfill the state’s conservation, recreation, and economic needs into the future.
Fall 2018 Land Sale
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will offer approximately 16 parcels in three public oral bid auctions in October and November of 2018. The properties include unimproved recreational land in Beltrami, Benton, Big Stone, Fillmore, Hennepin, Houston, Itasca, Kanabec, Lake, Mille Lacs, and Wadena counties. See below for more information.
Before attending an auction, please carefully review the property data sheets below and the Instructions for Oral Bid Auction and Terms and Conditions of Sale. The instructions contain important information, such as how to bid, and the amount of down payment required at the time of the sale, and other DNR auction sale procedures. Minimum bids listed below are subject to adjustment to correct errors and omissions. Minimum bids for the parcels in Big Stone and Fillmore Counties are not yet available. This information will be posted on this website as soon as it is available.
Land Sale Web Map
View an interactive map displaying the land sale parcels that are available over-the-counter.
DNR Public Auction Schedule
The Department of Natural Resources will conduct oral auctions for the land sale parcels on the following dates and locations. Registration starts a half hour prior to the auction.
- Friday, October 26th at 2 p.m. at the Minnesota Interagency Fire Center, 402 SE 11th St, Grand Rapids, Minnesota 55744
- Land located in Itasca and Lake Counties will be offered at this auction.
- Thursday, November 1st at 10:30 a.m. at Wadena County Courthouse, 415 Jefferson Street South, Wadena, Minnesota 56482.
- Land located in Beltrami and Wadena Counties will be offered at this auction.
- Thursday, November 8th at 10:30 a.m at the DNR Central Office, Lobby Conference Room, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, 55155.
- Land located in Benton, Big Stone, Fillmore, Hennepin, Houston, Kanabec, and Mille Lacs Counties will be offered at this auction.
Sale Parcel Information
- Sale 04145, 40 acres. Minimum Bid: $38,000
- Sale 05147, 40.17 acres. Minimum Bid: $35,000
Big Stone County
- Sale 06065, 2.5 acres. Parcel Data Sheet and Minimum Bid: PENDING
- Sale 23144, 25.6 acres. Minimum Bid: $59,000
- Sale 27015, 13.92 acres. Minimum Bid $13,300
- Sale 28145, 20.5 acres. Minimum Bid: $52,000
- Sale 31093, 36.83 acres. Minimum Bid: $43,000
- Sale 31120, 0.25 acres subject to encroachments. Minimum Bid: $99,320
- Sale 33146, 10.68 acres. Minimum Bid: $13,000
- Sale 38088, 20 acres. Minimum Bid: $38,000
Mille Lacs County
- Sale 48143, 40 acres. Minimum Bid: $35,000. This parcel does not have legal access.
- Sale 80148, 40 acres. Minimum Bid: $49,500
- Sale 80149, 40 acres. Minimum Bid: $44,000
- Sale 80150, 40 acres. Minimum Bid: $47,000
- Sale 80151, 40 acres. Minimum Bid: $49,500
- Sale 80152, 40 acres. Minimum Bid: $49,500
Land Sale Updates
Subscribe to this webpage for the latest information. You can also call (651) 259-5432, (888) MINNDNR or e-mail [email protected] for information.
The Mn Dept of Transportation and Dept of Administration also periodically sell surplus property. Click on the links to find out more.