Follow these steps to sign up as a volunteer for the DNR:
- Check the volunteer opportunities page to learn about volunteer positions available in your area.
- Contact the DNR staff person designated for each of the opportunities in which you are interested. He or she will inform you if the position is still open and will register you. If you live in Greater Minnesota, you may contact any of the St. Paul locations by calling our toll free number at 1-888-646-6367.
- Complete and sign the volunteer agreement, Guide to Department Policies and the Volunteer Background Check form (if needed for your position) to be registered as a DNR volunteer.
- Schedule your time with the contact person. Arrive on time (or a little early) to work on the projects for which you registered to work. Be sure to call if you will be absent or need to eave early. The DNR is counting on you to be a dependable volunteer.
- Represent the DNR in a positive fashion. You are not expected to be knowledgeable in all areas concerning the DNR. If working with the public in your volunteer position, all questions related to DNR policies and procedures are to be referred to your supervisor, or to the DNR Information Line at 1-888-646-6367 or (651) 296-6157 (Twin Cities only). Avoid expressing personal opinions.
- Keep track of your hours. This is important for liability coverage, reporting to the legislature, and volunteer recognition. Turn in your hours to your supervisor.
- If you have any concerns or special needs, please discuss them with the supervisor of the project. The supervisor will be happy to discuss possible accommodations that may help you successfully perform your volunteer duties.