Get involved, volunteer with us!
Join other like-minded folks enjoying Minnesota Scientific and Natural Areas while doing important work to help keep them natural! Check the events calendar to find an opportunity near you. You might enjoy stewardship events such as these:
Collect native seed
- help collect seed to be used on-site, maintaining genetic diversity
- native seed is expensive, using collected seed is a cost effective way to restore habitat
- experience a hands-on way to learn about native species and identify them
Control invasive species
- help us target buckthorn, garlic mustard, knapweed and other invasive species for removal
- pulling, cutting and burning invasive species helps to restore and preserve native habitat
- this is a great way to experience natural areas and be active
Join in a BioBlitz
- help identify as many species as possible on a one-day bioblitz
- learn from experts and survey with them to better understand the species found
- this is a fun way to join others interested in learning about Minnesota’s native species
Check out wildflower walks, snowshoe trips, educational experiences and interpretive events as well!
Check the events calendar for stewardship projects as well as other fun events. You'll be glad you did!
Know before you go
There is no advance sign-up for most stewardship projects, just show up the day of event to participate. Check individual events calendar listings for those that require registration.
When you go:
- Bring water, lunch, eye protection and work gloves
- Dress for the weather
- Carpooling is encouraged where possible
- Review safety tips »
Want to become more involved?
If so, consider becoming a site steward »
Wondering how you can be a good steward of your own land? We have resources for you.
- Land Protection Options: A Handbook for Minnesota Landowners
- Native Prairie Bank Program
- Native Prairie Tax Exemption Program
- Nurture Nature