Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
Anglers who fish in Becker, Clay, Mahnomen, Norman, Polk and Red Lake county areas benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Detroit Lakes area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Nathan Olson and a staff of six full-time and three part-time employees manage 151 fishing lakes and more than 1,500 miles of rivers and streams. Those waters include popular fishing destinations such as nearby Detroit Lake, the Cormorant lakes area, White Earth and portions of the Red River.
- Our work
What we do
- Harvesting over 40,000,000 walleye eggs and producing 20 million walleye fry and up to 12,000 pounds of walleye fingerlings per year.
- Administering 121 Aquatic Management Area (AMA) parcels totaling over 1,500 acres of land, nearly 20 miles of shoreline, and over 8 miles of streams.
- Coordinating with the White Earth Indian Reservation, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, South Dakota, North Dakota and the Province of Manitoba on Red River fisheries management issues.
- Evaluating experimental regulations on seven lakes and one river.
- Conducting and reporting about 25 lake/stream assessments per year.
- Compiling about 25 lake/stream management plans per year.
- Providing technical/advisory information to local, state and federal agencies on various development/resource activities.
- Attending and/or provide information for seven lake association and sportsman's club meetings per year.
- Maintain the Becker County fair fish display.
- Delivering about six MinnAqua and outreach programs to various groups per year, including a kids fishing pond.
Detroit Lakes staff
Slide text left for phones & emails
Nathan Olson Area supervisor 218-846-8290 [email protected] Mandy Erickson Assistant area supervisor 218-846-8290 [email protected] Mike Habrat Fisheries specialist 218-846-8290 [email protected] Erin Haws Fisheries specialist 218-846-8290 [email protected] Josh Wickstrom Fisheries technician 218-846-8290 [email protected] Nick Kludt Fisheries technician 218-846-8290 [email protected] Krysta Lipton Office administrative specialist 218-846-8290 [email protected]