Before the Flood
There are a number of things you can do to prepare your community or property for floods. Below are some very useful resources. Additionally, there are a number of guidance materials for floodproofing and retrofitting on our Technical Resources page.
- DNR Flood Hazard Mitigation Program
- Minnesota Homeland Security and Emergency Management administers a number of grants to mitigate flood losses
- Minnesota Department of Labor Disaster Preparedness Manual for Building Officials
- Flood Resilience Checklist – The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) created a tool to help communities prepare for, deal with, and recover from floods. This checklist offers strategies communities can consider to manage stormwater.
- Understanding and Managing Flood Risk: A Guide for Elected Officials – Association of State Floodplain Managers
- What can (and should) I do about fluctuating water levels on my property?
During the Flood
Current flood forecasts and stream flow conditions from the National Weather Service:
- Northwest Minnesota
- Northeast Minnesota
- Central and South Central Minnesota
- Southwest Minnesota
- Southeast Minnesota
Current Minnesota stream flow conditions:
- Minnesota Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management – State & Federal Resources for Homeowners and Renters
- Substantial Damage Determinations
- North Dakota State University - Flood Information for Property Owners – contains many useful tips for post-flood cleanup
- DNR General Permit 2001-1172: Repair of Flood Damages in Public Waters
- Minnesota Homeland Security and Emergency Management Spring Flooding Page
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency – Floods: Minimizing Pollution and Health Risks
- Roles of the DNR Before, During, and After Floods
- Minnesota Department of Health Flood Information