Anglers who fish the largest freshwater lake in the world benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Lake Superior area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Cory Goldsworthy and a staff of four full-time and three part-time employees manage approximately 2,300 square miles of Lake Superior and portions of its tributary streams along Minnesota's North Shore. They also track harvests in the sport, charter and commercial fisheries to ensure sustainability.
Their work is guided by the Lake Superior fisheries management plan, which DNR – working with numerous user groups – revised in 2016. View the plan now.
- What We Do
- Conducting fisheries assessments for lake trout, brook trout, rainbow trout, salmon, lake sturgeon and other predator and prey fish species in Lake Superior.
- Tracking the amount of harvest taken in the sport, charter and commercial fisheries and ensure sustainability of the resource.
- Determining total-allowable-catch quotas for the commercial November cisco fishery to ensure sustainable harvest.
- Coordinating efforts with commercial operators to collect scientific data on lake trout and cisco to determine age, diet and age composition of commercial catch.
- Evaluating abundance, survival and emigration patterns of migratory fish populations using fish traps on French and Knife rivers and backpack electro-fishing assessments in Lake Superior's tributary streams on the North Shore.
- Coordinating with the Great Lakes Fishery Commission and other state, federal and tribal entities on standardized lake-wide fisheries assessments and management.
- Area Notes & Updates
- Area Staff
Contact our Lake Superior staff
Slide text left for phones & emails
Cory Goldsworthy Area supervisor 218-302-3268 [email protected] Keith Reeves Assistant area supervisor 218-302-3277 [email protected] Joshua Blankenheim Large lake specialist 218-302-3273 [email protected] Nick Peterson Fisheries specialist 218-302-3272 [email protected] Chris Palvere Fisheries technician 218-302-3281 [email protected]