Little Falls, MN 56345
Anglers who fish in Benton, Morrison, Mille Lacs and Todd county benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Little Falls area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Eric Altena and a staff of four full-time and two part-time employees manage 90 fishing lakes and 471 miles of rivers and streams.
These waters include popular fishing destinations such as Alexander, Big Birch and Shamineau lakes plus portions of the Mississippi, Crow Wing, Rum and Sauk rivers.
- Stock two water bodies with pure-strain muskellunge.
- Stock 38 lakes with walleye fry or fingerlings.
- Produce and stock 1,500-5,000 lbs. of walleye fingerlings each year.
- Produce up to 5,000 muskelunge fingerlings each year.
- Provide fish for two county fair displays.
- Provide support for watershed districts and youth education efforts.
- Drawdown of Little Rock Lake and Sartell Pool to improve water quality.
- Research of bass populations in area lakes and evaluation of special bluegill regulations.
- Ice-out fisheries surveys to gain insight into walleye, northern pike, and muskie populations in larger area lakes, such as Alexander, Fish Trap, and Shamineau.
- Our work
- Little Falls Area Lakes Guide - Guide
- Stocking - Check the LakeFinder
- Surveys - Check the LakeFinder
- Survey Schedule - Lake Surveys
- Special/Experimental Regulations in Our Area - Regulations
- Events in our area - Reduced crappie bag limit consideration on Mound Lake in Todd County for 2020 Events
Contact our Little Falls staff
Slide text left for phones & emails
Eric Altena Area supervisor 320-232-1069 [email protected] Brady Becker Assistant area supervisor 320-232-1070 [email protected] Steve Marod Fisheries specialist 320-232-1082 [email protected] Al Schmidt Fisheries specialist 320-232-1071 [email protected] Michelle Krecklau Fisheries technician 320-232-1086 [email protected] Audrey Posterick Aquatic plant specialist 320-232-1079 [email protected] Jenna Johnson Office administrative specialist 320-2321065 [email protected]