Anglers who fish in Benton, Morrison, Mille Lacs and Todd county benefit from the management, habitat and oversight work of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Little Falls area fisheries staff.
Area Fisheries Supervisor Eric Altena and a staff of four full-time and two part-time employees manage 90 fishing lakes and 471 miles of rivers and streams. These waters include popular fishing destinations such as Alexander, Big Birch and Shamineau lakes plus portions of the Mississippi, Crow Wing, Rum and Sauk rivers.
- What we do
At work for you
Fisheries staff are monitoring bluegill populations to evaluate special regulations.
- Stock two water bodies with pure-strain muskellunge.
- Stock 38 lakes with walleye fry or fingerlings.
- Produce and stock 1,500-5,000 lbs. of walleye fingerlings each year.
- Produce up to 5,000 muskelunge fingerlings each year.
- Provide fish for two county fair displays.
- Provide support for watershed districts and youth education efforts.
- Drawdown of Little Rock Lake and Sartell Pool to improve water quality.
- Research of bass populations in area lakes and evaluation of special bluegill regualtions.
- Ice-out fisheries surveys to gain insight into walleye, northern pike, and muskie populations in larger area lakes, such as Alexander, Fish Trap, and Shamineau.
- Area highlights
- Little Falls Area Lakes Guide - Guide
- Stocking - Check the LakeFinder
- Surveys - Check the LakeFinder
- 2016 Survey Schedule - Lake Surveys
- Stream Survey Schedule 2016 - Stream Surveys
- Preliminary Survey results 2016
- Drawdown Related Information-Sartell Pool-Little Rock Lake
- Special/Experimental Regulations in Our Area - Regulations
- Events in our area -Largemouth Bass regulation modification to Pierz-Fish Lake and Sunfish regulations proposed on six area lakes! See here Events
- Special Surveys in our area - Special Surveys
- Area staff
Contact our Little Falls staff
Eric Altena Area supervisor 320-616-2450, Ext. 225 [email protected] Brady Becker Assistant area supervisor 320-616-2450, Ext. 226 [email protected] Steve Marod Fishereis specialist 320-616-2450, Ext. 239 [email protected] Tanner Stevens Fisheris specialist 320-616-2450, Ext. 227 [email protected] Larry Zimmerman Fisheries technician 320-616-2450, Ext. 247 [email protected] Audrey Kuchinski Aquatic plant specialist 320-616-2450, Ext. 235 [email protected] Rachael Nicoll Office administrative specialist 320-616-2450, Ext. 221