Enjoy Minnesota state parks in a whole new light
If candlelight events are not already an annual tradition for you, let this be the season where you get out and experience winter adventure in a whole new light!
Snowy trails, ice luminaries, and a gentle candlelight glow are all waiting for you at one of our winter candlelight events. These events feature short, easy trails lit with lanterns or luminaries. Enjoy their glow as you ski, snowshoe, or walk the trails. Go as far as you like and warm up with refreshments and a fire when you’re done. These events are free, family friendly, and perfect for anyone looking to spend a fun evening in Minnesota state parks!
Before you go:
- Anyone age 16 or older must carry a signed ski pass when using groomed cross-country ski trails in state parks or state forests, or on state trails or grant-in-aid trails.
- Many parks offer rentals. See a list of cross-country ski rentals or snowshoe rentals.
- Be safe and smart in cold weather - follow these tips.
- Restrooms and vault toilets are open daily at all Minnesota state parks throughout the year.
- Before you go... Find out the snow conditions.
- Please note: Occasionally, due to extreme weather or poor snow conditions, an event may need to be canceled or changed. Generally a candlelight event will go on even when there's no snow - it just becomes a candlelight hike, rather than snowshoe or ski! When in doubt, call the park.
Purchase a vehicle permit today and get a year of unlimited visits to all of Minnesota's state parks and recreation areas.
Events CalendarScroll table right to see more »
Lake Bemidji State Park
Luce Line State Trail
Lake Carlos State Park
Minneopa State Park
Itasca State Park
Lake Bronson State Park
Zippel Bay State Park
Hayes Lake State Park
Rice Lake State Park