Coming to the park? Know the "key three":
- Plan ahead. Buy your vehicle permit in advance to minimize person-to-person contact. Record your confirmation number and place it on your car's dashboard. If you'll be skiing on groomed trails, buy your ski pass in advance too.
- Arrive prepared. Buildings and warming shelters may not be open. Dress appropriately for the weather, and bring extra supplies with you.
- Follow the rules. Continue to follow all COVID-related guidance listed in the Outdoor Recreation Guidelines. Pay attention to signs, stay home if you feel sick, try to recreate only with members of your immediate household, and practice social distancing--even outdoors.
Don't let a little cold weather keep you from staying happy and healthy. Plenty of state parks and recreation areas plow or pack miles of trails for winter walkers! Winter hiking in Minnesota is beautiful, rewarding, and a great family activity.
Before you go
- Check snow conditions before you head out.
- Use HikeFinder to see recommended hikes for all parks.
- Be safe and smart when hiking in cold weather - follow these tips.
- Get rewards for completing hikes. Join the Hiking Club.
Purchase a vehicle permit today and get a year of unlimited visits to all of Minnesota's state parks and recreation areas.
Events CalendarScroll table right to see more »
There are currently no event listings.
Please note: Occasionally, due to extreme weather or poor snow conditions, an event may need to be canceled or changed. When in doubt, call the park.